• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some assistance on engine, parts, price, etc.

pityocamptes

NAXJA Forum User
I currently have a 1974 Scout with the AMC 258 and T-18 tranny. My current engine gave up the ghost, so I have been kicking around either swapping in an AMC V8 or a 4.0 stroker. Here are some questions I have that hopefully someone here could help me with. Thanks.

1. Will the 4.0 stroker (4.6-4.7L) directly bolt onto where my current AMC 258 is, and use the same motor mounts, bellhousing, clutch, flywheel, etc.?

2. Will the vast majority of parts, dizzy, water pump, timing cover, oil pan, etc. be a direct bolt on from my AMC 258 to the 4.0 block?

3. I contacted Russ in Covina, CA, (Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines) and he indicated that the stroker with shipping, core charge, etc. would run about 3300-3400. Is that a decent price? if not, any other recommended, quality shops?

4. Finally, what could I get if I sold my current engine on craigs list if I include the intake, exhaust, new weber 32/36 carb valve cover, extra parts? Would like to recoup some of my costs.

Thanks again! :patriot:

I would say the stroker, or stock 4.0 will fit with minimal if any changes. but you will need to get the wiring and all related electronics to run any fuel injected engine, so that would be the work to integrate say a XJ wiring harness into a scout. as for V8 IHC had their own V8 engines and as far as using AMC V8 it is reported they used 401s in some applications but not the scout.the 304 scout is a IHC engine no relation to AMC.

I would say the stroker, or stock 4.0 will fit with minimal if any changes. but you will need to get the wiring and all related electronics to run any fuel injected engine, so that would be the work to integrate say a XJ wiring harness into a scout. as for V8 IHC had their own V8 engines and as far as using AMC V8 it is reported they used 401s in some applications but not the scout.the 304 scout is a IHC engine no relation to AMC.

Thanks. I'll probably run carb, simple, and I'm trying to avoid as much work as possible :laugh: As far as price, does that sound like a reasonable in the ball park as far as strokers go, price? Thanks again!

I looked around and that seems to be a good price as they go up to and over 5k. so I would say that looks to be in the lowest end of the retail price of strokers. make sure to tell them it will be a carb engine they may use different cam.

I looked around and that seems to be a good price as they go up to and over 5k. so I would say that looks to be in the lowest end of the retail price of strokers. make sure to tell them it will be a carb engine they may use different cam.

Thanks. I'm a little ignorant on cams. I'm sure the rebuilder will know what he is doing, but could you explain, the differences in cams (hot vs standard, etc.)? ...and why some require FI over carb? Thanks!

I will tell you that Russ will build you one heck of a 4.0 based stroker. The price he mentioned is a VERY good price, especially considering shipping. You will want to have a discussion with Russ regarding what you plan to use the Scout for specifically. Russ built my motor for very low end torque, and it performs flawlessly. On the other hand, he built Team NAXJA 4643 motor for sustained 6,000 RPM work. Same basic engine, radically different outcomes. One friend who drove mine called it the "engine that cannot be stalled". The 4643 just wakes up above 3K RPM.

As good as Russ is, I would also consider building a IHC 345 V-8. This is a standard cornbinder motor, came carburated, and is the same basic block at the 304, so would fit with no problem.

David Bricker / SYR

Yes, it will fit. I just retrofitted a 4.0 out of a 94 XJ into an 87 YJ that came with an e-carbed 4.2 last fall. I went the EFI/full custom harness based off the donor harness route, though.

Not sure if the distributor will fit but I'd be shocked if it doesn't. The back of the block and the motor mount bosses are all the same. There are manifold port shape differences iirc (may be easier to just use the 4.0 manifold and put your carb on it, then adapt your exhaust to the 4.0 header) but I am not too clear on that. I believe the crank flange is the same also since people use a 4.2 crank to build strokers, in fact your 4.2 crank could easily end up being part of your stroker build.

Water pump will fit I believe. So will the accessories, I think? I'm not sure how your power steering pump, if any, will bolt onto the XJ intake manifold, I swapped the XJ accessories whole (with the addition of a YJ/ZJ water pump and pulley to drive the YJ mechanical fan) to save myself the headache.

Last edited:
Back