• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ Shakes!! Help!

stewmac

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

I am new here so I hope I am posting this thread in the right spot! Anyway, I have an 88 Comanche with a 5 inch lift. The lift has been in there for close to two years now and since day one, I've had this really annoying shake (seems like it's verticle, not horizontal). It's not Death Wobble (I've been there before!!). It only happens at higher speeds. Everything in the front end is tight and I've replaced everything that even had a trace of wear. I've also tried 4 different sets of wheels/tires at all different sizes and have the same issue. So, here are some question I have:

1) My passenger side Coil is sitting right against the Steering Knuckle (IS THIS OK?)
I was thinking that maybe when the coils are moving they are grabbing the knuckle and pulling it up and down slightly causing the "Jackhammer Affect."

2) My driver side front lower shock bushings get destroyed in less than a week when replaced. What's up with this?

3) Will setting the toe-in slightly help this problem?

Thanks in advance!!!

stewmac said:
1) My passenger side Coil is sitting right against the Steering Knuckle (IS THIS OK?)

If this is true, it leads me to believe that your axle is not centered. Do you have an adjustable track bar? This is not something that an alignment shop will fix.

Lawn Cher' said:
If this is true, it leads me to believe that your axle is not centered. Do you have an adjustable track bar? This is not something that an alignment shop will fix.

x2 on the trac bar and axle being offcenter... vibes could be caused by your toe in being off, are your tires being eaten on the front end? Do you have a SYE? Do you have lock out hubs?

one thing that can cause a lot of vibrations is your front driveshaft being bent or out of balance. Unless you have lock out hubs your front driveshaft always spins, and that could be it.

I have an adjustable trackbar and my dif is centered. No lockout on the hubs, I've pulled the front and rear driveshafts out and driven without them. It's not the driveshafts.

stewmac said:
I have an adjustable trackbar and my dif is centered. No lockout on the hubs, I've pulled the front and rear driveshafts out and driven without them. It's not the driveshafts.
wow, are we serious here. theres no way you can say, you know your axle is centered under the jeep just by the 'dif is centered' if you still have your fenders, get the thing on level ground and measure from fender to tire...

stewmac said:

Unless MJs from canada were manufactured differently you may have a serious problem... your front axle should have a driver side drop on the pumpkin and if your differential is centered, your axle is WAY off center... you may wanna take a look at your front axle and come back and tell us something different.

LilRedRover said:
Unless MJs from canada were manufactured differently you may have a serious problem... your front axle should have a driver side drop on the pumpkin and if your differential is centered, your axle is WAY off center... you may wanna take a look at your front axle and come back and tell us something different.

Or well spank you for lying.

I have just recently taken my MJ to about 6.5" and my springs do not come close to touching the steering knuckle!
Like most have said so far, sounds like the axel is off center and the springs are "tilted" and that would make one side touch the steering knuckle?
If your shock mount bushings are getting damaged that also could be due to the axel shifted, or you have to short a shock and you smashing them?
Can you take pictures of the front of the MJ and the front suspension that may provide answers?

Pictures are worth about a million ba-jillion words here... :D
Jeep on!
--Pete

ComancheClub.com/forums

I agree....

needpics.gif

CW

Back