• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rubicon locker install

*xj-man*

NAXJA Forum User
did some searching and didn't really find what i was looking for and i was wondering if anyone had installed a rubicon locker in their dana 44.
Also i was wondering is there a kit that i need in order for it to work, because i know that i need different gears.. OR if there was any kind of write up on installing one!
thanks
erik

The Rubicon locker would go into any D44. The difference is that they do not take much air pressure at all to operate. If you are going to use a Rubicon locker I would also the the Rubicon air pump for the locker. As far as gears go, the locker is basically built for 3.73 and down (numericaly). So if you want to run 3.73 or higher (numericaly) you need a thick ring gear. Also the original ring gear in the Rubicon uses a 7/16 ring gear bolt. Most of the D44 r&p sets are going to use 3/8ths bolts so you will need little spacers to make a 3/8ths bolt fit in a 7/16ths hole. If you are wanting to run the stock 4.10 gears you wouldnt have to worry about all that. If you have a choice on which locker to get, get the one from the rear end, its a limited slip also.

Hayden

I did some research on this too, and everything above is right. The main issue I ran into was that the Rubi locker is shimmed outside the bearings like a D30, unlike all other D44s. This means you need a different master install kit, which from what I understand is like $300. Kindof takes the air out of the sails of whatever deal you might find a Rubi locker for...

Hayden said:
get the one from the rear end, its a limited slip also.

That isn't true. The lockers were supposed to default to a limited slip when open, but that is not the case. Every one that I have checked is an open diff when unlocked. Seems that Chrysler only wanted to build one locker that would work in either front or rear.

from the searching I found on Pirate. It will take more work putting the Rubi locker in a stanard d44 than its worth. That is a smoke deal on that locker for $150 but after looking it takes a thick ring gear which you can only get upto 4.88. And you have to get some mill work done to the housing to make the locker work. Cheap to do an ARB than to make the Rubi work.

Yes The rubi's run a d44 but the internals are more related to a d35 and are not interchangeable with other d44's

Bryan C. said:
That isn't true. The lockers were supposed to default to a limited slip when open, but that is not the case. Every one that I have checked is an open diff when unlocked. Seems that Chrysler only wanted to build one locker that would work in either front or rear.

Actually what I said is true. The rear is a limited slip/locker and the front is open/locker. If by cheking you mean you turn one tire and the other turns the oposite way, that is true but it is still a limited slip in the rear. I have been inside both front and rear lockers and the front has spider gears and the rear doesnt, they are two different lockers. Call the dealer, there are two different part numbers. The rear is a helical(sp) gear type limited slip just like the Detroit True Trac. I made the same mistake in thinking it wasn't a limited slip until I actually tore one apart.

Hayden

I find one issue. granted I haven't need to F with the crapi, er um I mean, Rubi lockers. so I could be wrong, but... has anyone actually done that swap? rubi locker in a standard D44 housing? the major difference between the rubi housing and the regular D44 housing is that the rubi housing is bigger between the carrier bearing journals. and its not a cheap shim kit thats used to fit a regular dana 44 locker into the rubi housing.

Rawbrown said:
I find one issue. granted I haven't need to F with the crapi, er um I mean, Rubi lockers. so I could be wrong, but... has anyone actually done that swap? rubi locker in a standard D44 housing? the major difference between the rubi housing and the regular D44 housing is that the rubi housing is bigger between the carrier bearing journals. and its not a cheap shim kit thats used to fit a regular dana 44 locker into the rubi housing.

thank you! wasn't that my original question?

Every unlimited has a D44 limited slip with disc brakes as factory OEM out of the box BUT I thought the rubi's D44 was more closely related to the ones they used in the ZJ and WJ's.

Rawbrown said:

I do not think there is a difference in D44 housings. The reason i say that is because I have put an ARB locker in a Rubicon rear D44.

Hayden

Yes there is. to put a standard ARB or even a 33 spline arb or a detroit into a rubicon housing requires a special shim kit. I just haven't done the reverse of that yet.

I have too. it not noticed with ARB's because they include the shim kit. SK47. try putting an open carrier into a rubicon housing with shims out of a master install kit.

This will probably confuse the situation more, but I'll share anyway. I bought a new Mopar TJ 44 hsg. to replace my 35. I also bought a Super 44 kit from Superior. I had a lot of trouble getting the correct shim kit to make it work. After finally getting the backordered shim kit, it still wasn't right. The Super 44 kit uses shims outside the brg. like the Rubi setup. The difference being it is a stack of shims rather than one select fit like a Rubi uses. The rubi shims though have a smaller ID that isn't compatible with the larger brg. on the Super 44. So in the end, I ended up using a thicker master shim than what came with the "special" shim kit in order to take up the clearance between the journals in the hsg. I didn't specifically order a Rubicon 44 hsg., but the casting is appropriate, as it has the boss for the sensor used with the rubi locker, just not drilled. So basically, my experience backs what Rawbrown said regarding the hsg. being wider between the journals. The cover still isn't on. So if anyone can measure a standard 44 hsg. I can confirm this.

Now being that your going the other way, putting a rubi locker in the standard hsg. I don't know that it would be an issue. The shim kit I got for the Super44 included a master shim that was around .100" and a selection of thinner shims to add to that. So you could ptentially use that shim set(@$30 I paid, and yes the factory shim set is $300, being a former Jeep employee helped get those for free, though they didn't work)and just use the appropriate amount. The difficult part is installing a shim stack(multiple pieces) where you would normally have one select fit shim. I put the master toward the brg. and put the thinnest shims toward the hsg. to minimize the potential for distorting them when assembling. Still, it was an excersize in patience. I would confirm the hsg. dimension first.

In 2003 Dana/Spicer built a new D44 housing for he Jeep Rubicon application. The same housing is used in all the unlimiteds and anyother TJ with a D44 after 03'. If you look at any D44 under a newer Jeep you will notice the flat spots in the casting where the drain plug would be and the sensor location and the air inlet spot. I still say all the housings are the same weather its a rubicon or not.

Hayden

Back