• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange Whirring Noise

Quarterwave

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

Just the other day I noticed a strange whirring type of noise coming from either the rear left or front left hand side of my '93 2-door XJ. It's kind of hard for me to pinpoint where it's coming from but it's defnately one of those two options.

FWIW, it seems to come in at about 35 mph, and sounds like a "wobbling whir" (for want of a better description) then fades out as I hit about 50 mph....

I'm thinking that it's probably the bearings, and if so, was wondering how big a job it is to repair at home, and what tools will I need to get it sorted out. I work part time at an auto parts store, so I can get the parts a bit cheaper than most....

Also, my engine mounts are due for replacement, and again, I was wondering if it's a job I could reasonably tackle at home, or is it just better to get done by a pro.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Quarterwave

Quarterwave said:
Hi all,

Just the other day I noticed a strange whirring type of noise coming from either the rear left or front left hand side of my '93 2-door XJ. It's kind of hard for me to pinpoint where it's coming from but it's defnately one of those two options.

FWIW, it seems to come in at about 35 mph, and sounds like a "wobbling whir" (for want of a better description) then fades out as I hit about 50 mph....

I'm thinking that it's probably the bearings, and if so, was wondering how big a job it is to repair at home, and what tools will I need to get it sorted out. I work part time at an auto parts store, so I can get the parts a bit cheaper than most....

Also, my engine mounts are due for replacement, and again, I was wondering if it's a job I could reasonably tackle at home, or is it just better to get done by a pro.
OMG and he works at a parts store, anyone surprised?:gag:

Thanks in advance for any help.

Quarterwave

nowadays..most employers hire people, not positions. I guess having 'somone' is better than no one..

anyway, to help this guy out, I have a similar "whir" noise, mine occurs in the right/front area, pretty sure its my bearing(s).. and on 96+ XJs ya need to replace the Hub Assembly rather than just the bearings.. PIA! $15(bearing) shoots up to $150!(hub assembly) Does it seem like a Librarian is clenched to the underbody "shhushing" you?: a constant yet quiet "sshhhhhhh" sound? If yes, time to replace bearings/hub :D otherwise, your "whir" might be: as simple as rough road noise/tires, alignment issue, tires may need to be balanced... any vibrations? might be a u-joint, hopefully not the front's ;)

Electric fuel pump going bad? Or filter is all most plugged shut.

It would be helpfull if you at least knew which end the noise was comming from.
You would think he would also post 2WD 4WD Manual or Automatic and engine.

Thanks all and FWIW, I'd like to keep this to a help thread instead of flaming me out. For those interested, my auto store job is part time (like only 15 hrs p/w) for me to learn some more on mechanics b/c I'm interested in that field, and make some extra cash doing it.... I had to get some work to pay some bills and that's what I found. Simple.

Anyway, I'm just looking for some opinions from people who are familiar with the problem that I'm having with my Jeep as I'm sure it's happened countless times before. Unfortunately, I do not have acces to my garage of tools, nor the right location to work on my vehicle, hence me asking the degree of difficulty in doing this job - as I haven't done this work on a Jeep.... yet.

Now, my fuel pump is buzzing like a hive of bees, and I know that's due for a replacement and soon, but my fuel filter is less than 1k miles old. After some more listening, I'm convinced that it's back left....

That said, my model spec are :

93 2-door XJ Sport
4.0 / AW4 / 2WD

Peace.

Back