• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lock Rights

jeo

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,
Sorry to bug you with a Q you've most likely heard a million times, just having a hard time searching.
My local shop is wanting to sell me Lock Right lockers because I can't afford ARBs right now.
Any opinions, horror stories, thoughts would be appreciated.
I have the 30 front, 8.25 rear, 231 t-case, 30s, going to be 33s after lift, if that makes a difference. Daily driver, weekend terror.
Thanks in advance.

Since you have a 98 with a non-disco front end I would not recommend anything but a selectable locker for the front.

Do they make an Ox for the d30? If so, how much do they cost? And would the Lock Right make sense for the rear?

I run the Arb and love it plus the OBA. As far as the Ox goes they are still in termoil plus I dont like the linkage hanging out there!The Lockright is ok for the rear as long as you dont push them real hard,I still plan to replace my No-slip w/ another Arb.Two guys here have recently grenaded a "lunch box" locker w/ the 8.25".

I run a 91 w/ a conversion to a nondisco D30 - lockright up front is absolutely invisible on road and awsome off road...

I am running a Lock Right in my '97 (non-disco) Dana 30 with 37" MT/Rs and it has held up fine. It is invisible on-road in 2wd and defiantly locks up off-road, more 3 point turns are need in 4Lo though.
Pretty easy install too--> Lock-Right install for Dana 30

standard.jpg

I have had a few of them and have never had a problem. I used one in a old plow truck and it has lasted forever.

Thanks for the opinions guys. Maybe I will go with a Lock Right for now, and put in ARBs if/when they go or I can afford them. If anyone else has thoughts/opinions, keep 'em coming.

i was talking to the guy who is going to overhaul my D44 next week and he says he takes out about half of the lockrights he installes for people.. mainly because they dont like the road manners.. after he does his thing i will be installing my lockright cause i am not paying him labor to do what i can do myself.. mine is going in the trail rig so i am not very concerned with road manners...
mike

I guess it depends on what your doing.We had a guy last year that ended up with blisters and bloodied hands cause he couldnt turn the thing!Unless you have a twin stick your going to fight it and cause premature failure(power steering pump/box) "sooner than later".Believe me when I say "I can feel the difference" as soon as I release my ARB,it goes from squealing the belts to actually turning.

I have had a lock-rite in the front of my 2000 XJ dana 30 non-disconnect for over a year putting over 25,000 miles on it. I have been off-road countless times, interstate miles, backroads, snow, rain, ice, etc., not one problem the whole time. Sure you hear the clicking and popping around corners in 2wd, and some understeer in 4wd but I wouldn't hesitate to get one, you will be pleased.
Just my experiences-Matt

lock right only locks up when torque is applied to it, in other words it only locks while in 4 wheel drive!! No matter if you have a vacuum disconect on a non vacuum disconnect or he warn hub conversion or whatever you may have, you will not notice this locker in your front axle unless you are in 4x4. so if you have a np231 transfer case or 242 as long as its in 2hi you will never notice this locker unless in 4x4. there are so many ppl that say they wouldnt put a automatice locker in the front because "they Heard" that it causes problems. they dont know from experience!
go with the lock right you cant beat it for the money!!!

I ran a lockright in the front d30 non disco, and 34's. within a half season I sheared all 4 of the pins in the locker. other then that, no problems. Easy to install also.

It overheated my power steering pump on the trail though. Lot's of whining from the pump and pump failure from that. I had to put in a cooler for it. Then it worked better. You will notice how much harder it is to turn.

best way to avoid the "click" on corners, in the summer anyway: higher viscosity fluid - I'm running 85-140 right now and don't hear any clicks, even with the windows down and the stereo off...

Back