• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Filling up Manual Tranny and Tcase levels.

If I had a problem taking advice from people with experience, I wouldn't be here. However, I never just do what I am told from people who don't want to answer my sincere questions. That's how religions (among other so-called authorities) have ruined the planet. "Shut up and do what I say" always deserves the middle finger. And no one made you post an answer to my questions.

says the guy arguing with experienced users with a wikipedia page.

why do you think I posted a link directly to Jeep?
Not gonna take their word for it either?

You've been given all the information you need. The rest of this is pointless semantics and drivel.

Tread depth doesn't mean jack. You need to measure overall diameter. Tires don't measure their true sizes, and tires from different manufacturers may be sized differently, even if they have the same numbers on the sidewall. Lots of factors play into that, including what wheel they're mounted on, so no tire is going to ever measure what the manufacturer states, unless you mount them to the same wheel they did to take measurements.

Fill it with MT90 or syncromesh or suffer the consequences.

Can we provide a quick thread summary?

I have a '98, with an AX-15 and the 231

AX-15: MT90 or synchomesh, 4 quarts? Can you run down that fill-it-thru-the-shifter method for me, or point me to a thread that does?

231: I thought I read here synthetic 10-30 was fine for it, but from what I'm reading here, it's not. Please let me know what the best fluid is, and how much I need. Also, if there are any magical ways to drain & refill it lol

TIA :pirate1:

Last edited:
Can we provide a quick thread summary?

I have a '98, with an AX-15 and the 231

AX-15: MT90 or synchomesh, 4 quarts? Can you run down that fill-it-thru-the-shifter method for me, or point me to a thread that does?

231: I thought I read here synthetic 10-30 was fine for it, but from what I'm reading here, it's not. Please let me know what the best fluid is, and how much I need. Also, if there are any magical ways to drain & refill it lol

TIA :pirate1:

as stated, straight dexron for the 231 and 242 t-cases.
30w oil is far too thick.

Spec for an AX-15 is just about 3.5 quarts, but you'll get less noise and a cooler output bearing if you just pour 4 in it. To do that, fill through the shifter hole. Besides, it's tons easier to pour it in from the top than it is to pump it into the side.

To fill from the top.

Remove the cabin shifter boot.
Pull up on the dust cover (If it's still there, most are gone)
Now, in the middle of the shift tower you'll see a shiny metal cup with a circle that has two flat sides stamped out of it. The shifter resides in the circle. It's held into the shift tower like a giant dzus fastener.

Push it down to release the hooks from the pins(spring loaded), turn it a quarter turn, I believe counter clockwise (it's been a minute). It won't take any tools or anything.

After it pops up grab the shifter by the rod and pull it straight up. The entire assembly will pull out and leave you with a big gaping hole in the top. Make sure the bushing on the end of the shifter stays attached. It's a round conical shape, white nylon

Pour oil straight into the top. Installation is the reverse. Put rubber boot back on.
If the rubber cap that seals the shift tower to the rod is missing you can easily fix it with a rubber glove.
Cut the thumb out of rubber glove, take the knob off, run the thumb down the shift rod to the bottom, zip tie around shift tower.

Different brands, even different tire models of the same brand may not have the same dimensions.

For example, using the 235/75R15 you have, a Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2 will have an overall diameter of 28.9" and a General Grabber HTS will have an overall diameter of 28". Just because both sidewalls say 235/75R15 does not mean they are the same size.

as stated, straight dexron for the 231 and 242 t-cases.
30w oil is far too thick.

Spec for an AX-15 is just about 3.5 quarts, but you'll get less noise and a cooler output bearing if you just pour 4 in it. To do that, fill through the shifter hole. Besides, it's tons easier to pour it in from the top than it is to pump it into the side.

To fill from the top.

Remove the cabin shifter boot.
Pull up on the dust cover (If it's still there, most are gone)
Now, in the middle of the shift tower you'll see a shiny metal cup with a circle that has two flat sides stamped out of it. The shifter resides in the circle. It's held into the shift tower like a giant dzus fastener.

Push it down to release the hooks from the pins(spring loaded), turn it a quarter turn, I believe counter clockwise (it's been a minute). It won't take any tools or anything.

After it pops up grab the shifter by the rod and pull it straight up. The entire assembly will pull out and leave you with a big gaping hole in the top. Make sure the bushing on the end of the shifter stays attached. It's a round conical shape, white nylon

Pour oil straight into the top. Installation is the reverse. Put rubber boot back on.
If the rubber cap that seals the shift tower to the rod is missing you can easily fix it with a rubber glove.
Cut the thumb out of rubber glove, take the knob off, run the thumb down the shift rod to the bottom, zip tie around shift tower.

Appreciate the step-by-step. How about fluid quantity for the t-case? Till it comes out of the fill hole, or a lesser amount?

thanks
Nick

as an addendum, since I just puled an AX-15 from a late model yesterday.

The later model center console won't allow you to pull the rubber boot up like the early one. So pull the console to get at the screws.

It IS counter clockwise on the retaining cup.

and the later model ones seem to have black bushings on the end of the shifter, just make sure it's there. you don't want to go loosing it or your junk will never shift right again.

Why was I replacing an AX-15 you ask? Because I got a late model 5 speed 4 door for dirt cheap, and had a spare trans laying around.
What was the one with no first gear filled with?
Well if you guessed that it smelled an awful lot like sulphur and GL5 75-90, you'd be right ;)

Back