• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1997 Built XJ....... $7500

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
Y'all know this rig. You've read the threads and know she can be a drama queen of a rig. But, I believe I've got it sorted out and since I can't seem to do anything with it except flat-spot the tires on the driveway...... I should just face reality that I've lost interest and let her be used and enjoyed by someone else.

1997 Jeep Cherokee XJ. 168K miles. 4.0L Automatic 231 t-case. SE model having cold A/C, power mirrors, manual windows, manual seats. Runs good, passed emissions very well.

The suspension ride is incredible! Best ride from a lifted Cherokee I’ve ever had – and I’ve owned numerous lifted Cherokees.

Details/specs:

• Warn winch bumper
• C-Rock inner and outer steering box brace kit
• Smittybilt xrc8 winch with synthetic line and hawse fairlead
• Hella off road lights with stone guards
• Optima Red Top battery
• H4 headlights with associated harness/wiring
• Metal 3-core radiator
• Rear main seal done last year
• Cold air intake (drawn through fender, into custom filter box)
• Throttle body spacer and large bore throttle body
• ’01 H.O. intake manifold
• Alarm system with remote start
• Recent windshield
• Factory window tint
• CD stereo with 6 speakers, 10” sub and 2 amps
• Custom cowl hood
• Bushwhacker fender flares with a new in box 2nd set available.
• Rock Hard 4x4 full interior bolt-in roll cage, powder coated black. ($1,000+ cage new)
• CB radio/antenna
• Rear swing-out tire carrier bumper
• Custom rock sliders made by CrawlerTech welded to ¼” plate frame stiffeners
• 35x12.50x15 Mickey Thompson MTZ’s (5 of them) with 80% tread
• (4) DIY beadlocks with new thicker trim rings 15x10 5 on 4.5” lug pattern internally balanced with air-soft BB's. Spare is a Street Lock wheel.
• Rubicon Express 6” lift kit: Adjustable Super Flex upper and lower control arms, drop bracket kit, modified HD track bar and HD bracket, Track bar to unibody cross brace, 4 Rubicon Twin Tube shocks.
• ACOS front adjustable coil spring mounts.
• Rear leaf packs are BIGoffroad 6” FlexE made by Alcan Spring and 1” boomerang shackles.
• New front brakes.
• Built D30 front axle with new u-joints, TNT truss, custom OTK heim joint steering, LCA skids, JKS Over Axle track bar bracket kit, Warn diff guard.
• Powertrax D30 locker available, not currently installed.
• JKS sway bar links and custom inner-C mount brackets (not installed currently)
• Built D44 rear axle with simple tube truss, TeraFlex disc brake kit with e-brake as well.
• 4:88 gears
• Rear Detroit EZ locker
• Rusty’s gas tank skid
• Appalachian Armor t-case skid
• Custom rear drive shaft
• 231 T-case with Advance Adaptors HD slip yoke eliminator kit
• New catalytic converter and cat-back custom exhaust by AA Performance Muffler (Oct ’12)
• Spare body parts: hood, header panel, 3 doors and rear hatch – all same color as jeep.

Honesty:
• Fuel gauge may have a short – will read full until half tank, then goes to empty until ¼ full, then reads accurately until empty.
• Check engine light occasionally comes on after highway use sometimes. No known reason. Generally resets with a cycle of the ignition key. Never sets a code, never has a driveability issue when it comes on. May be related to the fuel gauge.
• 3 of the 4 bead lock wheels are very slightly bent. These have been on multiple jeeps over the last 10 or so years and have seen severe duty. They do cause a shimmy in the front that transmits to the steering wheel but it drives straight and does not induce “death wobble”. I do not daily drive this jeep and generally trailer it when using it so better wheels would be recommended for daily driver use.
• Front suspension components are in good working order, but there is some popping from the flex joints. Pretty common but to someone that hasn’t had this kind of suspension, it can seem noisy and disconcerting. Checking and tightening the joints may be worth doing in the near future.
• Heat isn’t working well. Likely just a blend door actuator or vacuum related issue. Haven’t looked into it as I rarely drive it during the winter.
• Steering box and oil filter adaptor leak just a bit.
• Parasitic voltage draw from the constant monitoring of the alarm. If left sitting for a couple weeks, the battery needs charged/jumped. Non-issue when driven daily.

Extras included for full asking price, or can be negotiated in or out of the deal for price adjustment:
• Serious Offroad Long Arm suspension/crossmember kit. Brand new, uninstalled, custom made to fit this jeep with its frame stiffeners. $550 value.
• D30 front PowerTrax locker $140 value.
• Cowl hood (have a stock hood that can go in place of it) $100 value.
• New set of Bushwhacker fender flares $300 value
• XRC8 winch with synthetic rope and hawse fairlead. Can remove it to lower price ($400 value) or swap it for another XRC8 with steel cable and roller fairlead to lower price $200 value.
• Spare body parts: The spare left front fender will be included regardless. All other parts are negotiable if not wanted. ($260 value)

Asking $7500 for the jeep and EVERYTHING else. Trades considered.
720-879-1399

NAXJA8.jpg

Last edited:
Holy Sexy Jeep. Wish I could talk my buddy in Denver into buying this!

Damnit, Troy. You are making it harder for me to sell mine! :D Buuuuutttt then again I could still possibly keep it if I get rid of the other jeep quicker. GLWS though!

I see where this is going. People on the boards are trying to ride my coattails with the Impreza thing and you want a piece too huh? I saw the admiration in your eyes when I had the Vanagon. Pretty clever how you threw in the "Well.....I might be open to ummmmmm....tradez ahhhhh." I don't know if I can buddy. I'm about to rack up 275,000 on that sexy beyotch and was really wanting to hit 300,000. Let me sleep on it ok?

Oh and...feel free to turn on the sarcasm full bore as a smoke screen now. I understand.

I don't need your permission to use sarcasm where you're concerned fish-boy.......

Yeah.... I'll pass on the Impreza. That school parking lot incident nearly totalled it. I don't want someone else's demo derby car thank you.

I know you're looking for a solid way to convince Heather that you need this XJ instead of that euro-trash LR3 she seems to think is the bomb.....

:laugh:

What incident are you talking about? Did I tell you about how those little bastards put Chinese food and Yoo Hoo all over the damn hood? It's a different world now days. Who TF do these kids think they're dealing with though? You gotta get up pretty ****in' early. Don't they know I have access to security cameras? All I had to do was reposition one of those bad boys and set the trap.

And if you MUST know...Heather did inquire about Land Rovers and I am the one who advised against such a move. It just so happens that I like the Series 2 and not the LR3 than you very much. I rather like vehicles with squared edges. Like Vanagons. I also lust after a Defender but I don't make nearly enough money to drive much more than my overly exerted but loyal Subaru.

I could even be persuaded to throw in a pair of my old, retired for out of town guests waders if you pipe down on the public act. They hardly smell like farts at all anymore after hanging in the garage for the last half a year.

I like the cowl hood, What did you use?

need another 5.9 troy?

Nope....... been there, done that.

I like the cowl hood, What did you use?

I butchered a rare, but understandably little sought after Chevy Citation X11 hood. I just cut it from the hood, shaped the edges to fit and cover the XJ hood indention down the middle and screwed it on. The hood contour was nearly perfect.

7 months from now (when I get back) I would be all over this...

At the rate these heavilly modded XJ's sell....... you may just get the chance.... Although, when Spring rolls around I may be a whole lot less motivated to sell it..... :looney:

Troy, let me know if you're willing to lose some of the extras. I'd like the hood, long arms, and synthetic cable/fair lead.

I have a roller fair lead and steel cable for the winch (mine is an XRC8 as well).

Had a few lookie-loo's...... common response: "I want it, but I gotta sell mine first."

I think I found another contributor to the issues I'd been having....... friggin' Optima battery. This is the 2nd one I've put in it in the past 3 years and they never hold a charge. Terrible battery for vehicles that don't get driven or are stored. I threw down $120 this afternoon on a new traditional style battery and things are working as good if not better than they ever have........

:mad:

I told a friend of mine about it and he agreed its a great price and he wants it, but right now he's working on buying a house. I'll keep pestering him about it though.

I've heard a few people now with some complaints about Optima batteries. Good to know because I was just looking at batteries for the Subaru.

optimas are totally hit or miss since they moved production from Aurora to Mexico 5 or so years ago... if you get a good one, they rock, but I used the warranty on my last one FIVE TIMES before I got a good one. Quality control sucks...

Back