• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

YJ brakelines

boise49ers

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a set of YJ brakelines for my 88xj. I bought for the same year as mine. They seem to be the same length as my XJ lines. Not a real big deal because I'm not going higher up front for a few years. The metal line that comes from the caliper goes straight up as opposed to bending around the nut on the caliper. This will give me more length.
What I am wondering is that bend on the XJ line there to prevent it from interferring with something , or just to tuck it aside ? My thought is the set up on the YJ should be the same as the XJ so I should be OK.

Thanks

Last edited:
I bought a brakeline from a '95 YJ for the rear of mine and it is approx. 4" longer so maybe you want to return it and exchange. No use in changing if you don't gain anything.

I bent the stock hardline down on mine to allow more wheel travel. You can straighten it and redrill a hole to retain it, however on yours, being an '88, you might not want to bend it down.

HTH

I assume we are talking about front lines...
not sure about 88 lines, but I got 95 YJ lines, they are longer than the XJ lines on my 89. Some people suggest bending the straight part, and others say leave it alone. The only issue i see is tire interferance, but if you position it "in" a little you can avoid that, mount them up and go thru the turn cycle to see if anything touches... I had to adjust for shock rub...

The fittings are the same as my current lines. The only difference I can see is the hardline is straight on the new ones. It is long enough with my lift so I'm just worried about the Clearance. I'm going to be running pretty thin tires with 4.5 backspace so maybe I'll be OK. 33x10.5 TSLs
How High do you sit Dan ? I'm at 5" and my stock lines are stretched to the limit. These will be a little longer because of the straight shot they have.
Thanks

Last edited:
boise49ers said:
The fittings are the same as my current lines. The only difference I can see is the hardline is straight on the new ones. It is long enough with my lift so I'm just worried about the Clearance. I'm going to be running pretty thin tires with 4.5 backspace so maybe I'll be OK. 33x10.5 TSLs
How High do you sit Dan ? I'm at 5" and my stock lines are stretched to the limit. These will be a little longer because of the straight shot they have.
Thanks

The longer the better, well I guess you could get too long. The 95 YJ lines will do you right.

boise49ers said:
Thanks

I sit at 5.5" and have 4.5 back spacing with 33X12.50. No problem with length.

Yeah I went and exchanged them for the longer 95 YJ lines. Got a little cash back too. I have to wait a few days , but I have the Grandaughter this weekend all weekend so wouldn't have been able to do it any way. Sure wish they would get my Swampers in. 3 weeks of back ordering.
Thanks Fella's !

So I got Rashed because the search I did, Never did answer the question I asked about, (does the line going straight up interfer with anything.) Show me in a post the answer to my question. Then flame me !
Some peoples kids !

Back