• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LCA install now crazy vibes!!

xjrrrdx

NAXJA Forum User
Well if any of you have a previous post of mine, I had my adjustable LCAs installed backwards. While they were backwards I had no issues at all. When I put them on properly, I saw that the front of the could was rubbing the bumpstop stem. This was after I extended the LCAs about an inch. Well I thought since it was jacked when I put the jeep down they would center out again. Well they arent centered still. I drove down my street, once I hit 15mph i get this insane knocking and vibrating through the steering wheel. It wont go away at any speed, unless I am under 15mph. Ive had death wobble before and so i got a t-case drop, and it feels much different this time. I am at a loss, when on wrong no problems, when in right I have a lot of issues haha.

xjrrrdx said:
Well if any of you have a previous post of mine, I had my adjustable LCAs installed backwards. While they were backwards I had no issues at all. When I put them on properly, I saw that the front of the could was rubbing the bumpstop stem. This was after I extended the LCAs about an inch. Well I thought since it was jacked when I put the jeep down they would center out again. Well they arent centered still. I drove down my street, once I hit 15mph i get this insane knocking and vibrating through the steering wheel. It wont go away at any speed, unless I am under 15mph. Ive had death wobble before and so i got a t-case drop, and it feels much different this time. I am at a loss, when on wrong no problems, when in right I have a lot of issues haha.
How much lift do you have?How long are your LCAs as they are adjusted now?there is a chart floating around here somewhere on proper control arm lenghts.

Well you need to adjust the uppers(I know you dont have them) proportionally to the lowers,it sounds like you got a TON of castor.What does DW have to do with a TC Drop???????????????

I just have 3" Well it was just weird because I had the same length on the "wrong way" and nothing like this. I guess Ill have to reshorten them.

Other than which end you like the adj/nut on,arms like Rusty's really are not directional.RE arms are directional because of the way they clearance for the shock mount!Other than that there should be "NO" difference in alignment/ride/way it drives!

I dont know if this will help, but afrith caught a typo for me. I meant to say the front of the coil is rubbing the stem, not the "could" sorry.

RCP Phx said:
Well you need to adjust the uppers(I know you dont have them) proportionally to the lowers,it sounds like you got a TON of castor.What does DW have to do with a TC Drop???????????????
All he's saying there is that he has had death wobble before so he knows its not that, and he also has a tc drop so its not driveline vibes.

I just realized you have a LP D30 like me!Youre probably also binding the driveshaft,been there done that!

Start with getting some castor/pinion angles!Then you can figure out a resolve!Remember the LP and HP D30 are different,but I believe he covers that(11* on an LP if I remember right)!

Go-jeep alignment

Last edited:
i say, get an alignment and see how that fixes the castor and stuff. I mean aren't you supposed to get an alignment after each time you mess with the suspension? thats what i've always heard

I had a control arm chart but its apparently not availble anymore. Does anyone have one of these? I could use it cause I'm installing some adjustables in the next couple of days. As for vibes did you make sure your track bar was tight on both sides.. just a guess

Well I looked and I measure 17 inches from bolt to bolt. And my coil looks like an "S"

HPIM0497.jpg

HPIM0499.jpg

HPIM0500.jpg

HPIM0498.jpg

wow Thats not much of a difference from stock to 3 inches of lift. I want to put 3 inches of lift on my MJ. I hate to steal the thread but is it possible to make my own control arms. I have access to a few different kinds of metals in school and I'm sure I could fab up some kind of end for it. Is there a certain kind of metal to use or something. Any ideas would be greeat

jeeppowermj said:
I hate to steal the thread but is it possible to make my own control arms. I have access to a few different kinds of metals in school and I'm sure I could fab up some kind of end for it. Is there a certain kind of metal to use or something. Any ideas would be greeat

do a search and then start a new thread on your own issue...

xjrrrdx said:
Well I looked and I measure 17 inches from bolt to bolt. And my coil looks like an "S"

HPIM0498.jpg
Is it just me or does that driveshaft slip look pulled out really far. Your lower arms should be 16" long according to the Yucca Man chart while your uppers will be fine. Try to shorten them and see what happens.

You need to reduce the length of the arms by 1". The reason you have all the noise and your coils are jacked is because your axle/pinion rotated downward from your LCA's being too long. If you shorten them to 16" your coils should be straight. Set up the frame end LCA bolts to rest in the center of the mount so the alignment shop has some room to work with when they check your caster.

http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/re_db.html#arms

Back