• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fabbing CA brackets.

Lucas

NAXJA Forum User
So I found out my CA brackets on the axle end are FUbar and were 90% torn off. BUT, I discovered this at my parents place, far from a shop where I could repair/fab new ones. All I have to work with is a 4.5 inch angle grinder, a jigsaw, hand tools, and a borrowed miller. Do you think it would be "easy" to fab up new 3/16 inch brakets, or should I just order some pre-fabbed ones and burn them in next week?
Im just kinda getting into making my own parts, but I usually have a plasma or at least a torch at my disposa.

The brackets are easy to make. I've used 3" steel plate, 3" channel, etc. Depends on what you have in the way of tools. Less tools=more to buy.. More tools=less to buy.

What is a jigsaw capable of? Will it cut 3/16? Do you have any pics of your box steel jobs? I was thinking that I could just find appropriate box, cut a radius into them with a rented band saw, cut the bottoms out, drill, and then weld them in. Seems like it would be easier than cutting out four individual tabs.

Last edited:
Just started fabbing up my lower control mounts and coil buckets this week. I used 1/4" thick box tubing and cut it into halves.

I used a band saw and a hole saw in my Bridgeport milling machine, but you should be able to use a decent drill press.

If you have the right tools, it’s pretty simple. Otherwise RE has got you by the balls.

Here are some quick pics:

http://community.webshots.com/user/skyjackerxj

I'm really limited on tools here at my parent's place. The brackets you made are pretty much exactly what I am planning on doing, but I'm using 3/16 3x6. My radius cuts are going to be made with a jigsaw, all the straight cuts are being made with a cutoff wheel on the angle grinder. No press, so the bolt holes are going to be made with a punch and hand drill. I don't even have a vice, so I'm just going to tack weld the box steel onto my winch bumper to keep it steady
I tried calling currie, but they put me on hold for 10 minutes and when I did reach someone, they weren't very friendly and kept transferring me. They were probably rushed from end of the week orders. Oh well.

i have a black and decker jigsaw and it works pretty well. just go slow and you'll be able to cut that stuff but why not just buy them if their only 40.

I use 3" boxed tubing, 3/16 wall, to make all of my mounts and brackets. This gives you a 2 5/8" ID which is what all the arms are, including all aftermarket bushings, johnny joints, or whatever. It's not hard to cut the tubing into whatever you want it to be for a mount, including cutting out one side.

Here's an example. Every mount in this pic is made of that 3" boxed tubing.

standard.jpg

bj-666 said:
i have a black and decker jigsaw and it works pretty well. just go slow and you'll be able to cut that stuff but why not just buy them if their only 40.

I was on the phone with currie today but apparently they had a shortage of operators and I had zero patience. Plus I couldn't wait till next week for them to come in.
I just finished drilling out the holes of the bracktes. It took about four hours, one of which was making about twenty cardboard mockups of what I wanted. I used 3/16 3x6 like goatman, and used a jigsaw to make curved cuts...it was SLOOOOOOOWWWWW. For the rest of the cuts I used an angle grinder to thin out the metal to less than 1/8 and the jigsaw zipped right through. The finished product looks GREAT. I wish I had a camera. Im pretty damn proud! :laugh3:
Any tips on welding?

Steel in Nashville is absurd. 2 feet of 3/16 3x6 from the drops of a little shop in an industrial park cost 32 bucks. Most everything under 4 feet in knoxville I get at scrap prices (30cents per lb).

Back