• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TPS removal

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
Just managed to break 3 torx bits trying to break free the two torx bolts on one of the TJ's, how the heck do you get them off...

Maybe use a torx key. Use something (very very small piece of tubing) with a decent length to sleeve on to one end of the key for better leverage. My two cents.

nate said:
Heat them up with a torch to melt the locktite.

Uh, the tps is plastic so I don't think thats a good idea. Might just take it to my buddys shop and let him strip the torx :D
This sob twisted TWO snap on bits, grrrrr.....

Yeah I know that. I assumed you are removing it to replace it. Guess not.

RichP said:
Uh, the tps is plastic so I don't think thats a good idea. Might just take it to my buddys shop and let him strip the torx :D
This sob twisted TWO snap on bits, grrrrr.....

Two ways to do it. One is to cut a slot in the head, either with a hacksaw as suggested above, or with a Dremel tool and one of those little cutoff disks. the other is to use needlenose Vise Grips and grasp the head on the outside. Once it moves even a little, you can use the torx key to finish it.

Needless to say you must be careful not to shear it off once you start. Go for tiny movement, and then go back and forth, loosen, tighten, loosen, etc. until it's free.

Back