• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle pads

rock rash

NAXJA Forum User
are axle pads worth it? i need to space my ties out about an inch and do not want to buy new rims. any other ideas?

do you by chance mean wheel spacers?

Cast ones are dangerous. Billet AL are fine as long as they're engineered properly. Realize that the farther you move the tire from the hub, the more you increase the tire's scrub radius and increase wear on the bearings. This is also true for wheels of different offsets, though, so it's a wash as long as you don't go nuts with it. I'm going to run spacers on my rear axle <AMC20> if I find that it's needed.

"Engineered properly" includes the use of separate studs to hold the spacer to the axle, and others to hold the rim to the spacer. Using long studs that hold the entire sandwich together isn't recommended. I'm sure there are a few folks around here who can recommend a good spacer manufacturer; I don't run them and don't really trust them so don't have any ideas for ya on that.

good point on the seperat studs. I should have clarified.

I have no problem with spacers- after all, when it comes down to it, its usually a single nut that actually holds the wheel on the truck anyway..

Why do you need to space your tires out?

The machined, billet aluminum spacers with separate studs would be the way to go, but you can buy four Rockcrawler steel rims for what two acceptable quality billet spacers will cost.

Back