• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which U joints do you run???

I admittedly have no first hand experience with anything but stock spicer joints; however, from what I have read on PBB the OX joints are not your best bang for the buck. The CTMs are still the reigning kings, but at $185 a piece, they're a bit spendy. The longfield super-joints are coming in a close second. Farmermat on here actually broke a Warn shaft with a longfield joint, and the joint looked perfect. At $80 a pop, the longfields are a bargain. In case you are unaware of what they are, they are a heat treated Spicer 5-760X joint, that has had the needle bearings replaced with brash bushings, and individual zerks added to each cap. You can get them at www.longfieldsuperaxles.com If I ever start busting u-joints/shafts, they'll be what I upgrade to. HTH

Ary

Jes said:
What axle shafts are you running?

That's a question that should have been asked first before recommending any joints to the guy. Good job Jes, way to find out what he's running to give the best recommendation.

-Mike

The lifetime on the ujoints with bushings is questionable if you are running them on a daily driver. You would definately want to keep them well lubed.

still didnt say what shafts

Stock spicer joints should do you fine. They are close to the same strength of the stock shafts. When you upgrade shafts than upgrade joints at the same time. I've had good luck with Longfeilds & clearly are the best bang for the buck when comparing them to the other upgraded joints. They held up to this...

botw3056.jpg

I have super 30 kit in the front D30 and Dana 60 in the rear. Tom Woods Drive shaft and SYE Kit I use stock spicer U-Joints only because if i want anything to be the weak link I want it to be the U-Joints. There easier to fix on the trail. Not that the Super 30 or the Rock Crusher are going to break inside with better Joints........but better safe then sorry.My .02 cents

Yah I hear longfeilds are the best bang for the buck. But no matter what they all break. CTM may last a little longer but it is breakable.

Sephrion said:
i edited the post, but ill say it again... stock

Then get Spicer 5-760X u-joints(assuming the stock shafts you have currently have the old 297s in them).
I run stock shafts still and have never broken a u-joint(297 or otherwise) but have broken a fair amount of shafts.

Jes

Northern Pride said:
I have super 30 kit in the front D30 and Dana 60 in the rear. Tom Woods Drive shaft and SYE Kit I use stock spicer U-Joints only because if i want anything to be the weak link I want it to be the U-Joints. There easier to fix on the trail. Not that the Super 30 or the Rock Crusher are going to break inside with better Joints........but better safe then sorry.My .02 cents

How is a u-joint easy to fix on the trail?!
When a u-joint breaks it usually takes the shafts with it so why run a weak u-joint in a strong shaft?

Breaking stuff on trail SUCKS, and the more friends that are in your group the worse it sucks!

I've broken three dana 44 stock shafts, 2 superior dana 44 shafts, all of which I believe were taken out due to u-joint failures....

maybe one or two were actually shaft failures, judging by the way the breakage looks, but its hard to tell....

I run warns and ctms now, and I'd never go back.

I've broken the spider gears in my detroit twice now.....

I think the joints/shafts are plenty strong

i buy the cheep napa u joints ,i keep an extra one in the glove box. I would rather break a 10 dollar u joint than an axle shaft . but thats just me

my friend runs 38.5 sx's witha 60 rear and 44 front. Up front hes got ctm's and warns. Hes broken 1 warn shaft and 1 ctm. Its just a matter of which on goes first. Usually the weaker one but in this case theyre both damn strong.

maineiac said:
i buy the cheep napa u joints ,i keep an extra one in the glove box. I would rather break a 10 dollar u joint than an axle shaft . but thats just me

How many joints have you broken? I've never broken one personally, but everyone that I've been witness to has taken the ears of the shaft with it. Buying cheap joints to make them the weak link just doesn't make sense to me when they end up wasting the shafts too.

Ary

Back