• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.8 with a blower

way back in the mid 80s when s10s were till running 2.8s and 3.8s, i remember B&M making a blower kit for those engines.. IIRC it was one of the first kits like that to be C.A.R.B. certified.... doing anything to a 2.8 never seemed worthwhile to me though...

mike

sidriptide said:
way back in the mid 80s when s10s were till running 2.8s and 3.8s, i remember B&M making a blower kit for those engines.. IIRC it was one of the first kits like that to be C.A.R.B. certified.... doing anything to a 2.8 never seemed worthwhile to me though...

mike

I may be wrong, but I don't think s-10s ever came with a 3.8. The GM 3.8s were primarily front wheel drive engines in thier cars. You may have meant the 3.4L V6 ? The 3.4L is nothing but a 5.0L V8 missing 2 cyl. Which is good. The Vortec 3.4s are great. I wold love to have one of those for my XJ. :farmer:

Stick said:
I may be wrong, but I don't think s-10s ever came with a 3.8. The GM 3.8s were primarily front wheel drive engines in thier cars. You may have meant the 3.4L V6 ? The 3.4L is nothing but a 5.0L V8 missing 2 cyl. Which is good. The Vortec 3.4s are great. I wold love to have one of those for my XJ. :farmer:

They never came with the 3.4 or 3.8. Although the 3.4 is very closely related to the 2.8. They did come with the 4.3, which is the one you were reffering to. It is essentially a 5.7 minus two cylinders. You almost had it right. :laugh3: Any yes, you are correct, the 4.3L is bullet proof with a great torque curve. I used to be a GM guy. I still respect their engines.

Back in the day I knew a guy with an S-10 that was blown with all kinds of money thrown at it. I had a 4x4 S-10 with a stock targetmaster v-8 in it. My truck would eat his for lunch, and he couldn't keep a lower end in his (kept spinning rod bearings).

Maybe it is a truly is a "blown" 2.8, the junkyards around here are full of them :roll: :spin1:
Without knowing more about it though I'd say forget it unless you can get it for cheap and just want it as a starting point or for parts.... the lockers, blower and projection are worth something.
The early 2.8's had weak bottom ends... I think they beefed them up in 88 or so though before they started making the 3.4's for the firebirds & camaros.
If you can look at it and it isn't total crap you could swap in a 3.4 once the 2.8 flys apart :idea:
Mike B.

that thing is sweet too bad the buy it now price is 3000, I wouldn't pay over 600 for that thing it'd probably be dropping parts a month after you bought it. That hood scoop looks hilarious.

Back