• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to put a spare tire (MJ)?

Phil

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
To all the guys with larger than stock tires on a Comanche, where are you putting your spare? Do you leave it at home and drive around town without a spare? Toss it in the bed? I've been underneath spraying PB Blaster, and it looks like there's not much room for a larger tire in the stock location, before you have the tire touching the exhaust. Where do you put it?

fabtech sells a sweet prerunner style tire rack for the bed of a truck, that is kinda what Im building for the flatbed, but usually I just throw it in teh bed

spare

Right now my spare is mounted on the drivers side of the bed, standing upright. Gonna try to mount it under the bed eventually, maybe with a large stud/plate combination. My exhaust is routed on either side so clearance shouldn't be a problem( yea right!!)

I'm carrying a 31x10.50 in the stock suspended location on my shortbed. It fits fine, but I haven't looked to see if it might take anything larger. I'm also a bit concened about the weight, although the winch cable is steel and doesn't appear to be rusted.

If I had a longbed I'd probably get one of those adapters to stand it up and bolt it against the inside of the back. I dread the possibility of actually needing to use my spare on a snowy day, but with a short bed that has a cross-bed tool box, the 31" spare used up too much of my cargo volume.

My 33 is bolted to the floor of my bed with a 1' long threaded rod, and a padlock through the rod on top of the wheel, this way nobobdy can steal it without some effort. When I build the cage and put the YJ seat there, It will be bolted to the roof of the cage.

I would rather leave my spare at home than keep it loose in the bed (I have this great fear of stray objects coming up to greet me in an accident :angel: ). That's why my 33 is currently tied to my custom in-bed rails (very strong!) with a couple ratchet straps. I have a mount in the works using a cut axleshaft, but I'm not yet positive on where exactly it'll be located. I'll make that determination after my roll bar is finished. I'm thinking either flat on the bed like Lawnmans, or upright and welded to the drivers side down bar. Decisions, decisions... :D
Jeep on!
--Pete

Back