• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to compress brake calipers with just a bottle jack

Muddy98

NAXJA Forum User
Just figured this out and wish I'd have known about this before

Your gonna need to remove your brake pads unbolt your caliper and get to where the knuckle is free

e790a4197ba6977302d9335ec98020af.jpg

Then place your caliper with the piston facing down and put your jack underneath the piston on the knuckle

89ee1f11ef0290f49b6f60462185942a.jpg

Now you have a makeshift vice, before you start jacking the piston up loosen the cap to your brake booster and wrap some rags around it so fluid doesnt go everywhere like it did on mine.

38d2cc271d1ec50efc242a85e16ed3ee.jpg

Thats it simple but effective if you have nothing else

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

The caliper should not be that hard to push back in. I just use a screw driver when it is still mounted with the pads , I take the screw driver and push it between the pad and the rotor and push the pad and piston back .

The caliper should not be that hard to push back in. I just use a screw driver when it is still mounted with the pads , I take the screw driver and push it between the pad and the rotor and push the pad and piston back .

This is how I've seen it done .

This is how I've seen it done .

X3 plus I Always crack the bleeder as to not force any old brake fluid back into the system.

Yeah these were pretty frozen i tried a screwdriver and a prybar, the fact that the pads were just about metal on metal might have had something to do with it. Compressing the brakes eas something i overlooked while swapping this rubicon axle in and used what i had

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Back