• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.4 Quarts drained from AW4, how much to put back in initially

XJBlackPDX

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Everybody!
I have a 98 XJ, 4.0, AW4 that is generally my daily driver but has been sitting in the driveway for the last 3 months. My driveway has a decent pitch (front higher than rear), and the front has been on jack stands for the last 3 weeks (tires off). Very long story, basically fixing brakes turned into changing hub/bearings, calipers, rotors, pads, engine oil/filter, etc.
Now I am doing an AW4 fluid change. I've read dozens of threads/forums but have not really found my particular issue addressed. After letting the fluid drain for a couple hours (long nap), there seemed to be much more fluid than the average 3-4 quarts people say they drain. Having a slight case of OCD, I measured approximately 5.4 quarts of fluid. I know everyone mentions checking dipstick level, but clearly fluid has settled in the pan while it has sat at an angle.
How much fluid should I put back in initially? Overfilling is a cardinal sin, but if the fluid level before was fine, what volume would people suggest?
The other complicating factor is that I'm also changing the front shocks, then I need to do the brakes, etc before I can reinstall the wheels. I'm more than a little apprehensive about shifting gears with only chocks and drum brakes/parking brake on a hill. Also, I don't generally have more than an hour or 2 daily to work on the Jeep. Tomorrow is the exception where I should have 3 or 4 hours. Thanks everyone for your time and expertise!

Always use the dipstick when refilling a transmission (if it has one). I am curious how you got over 5 quarts out of the transmission. Did you remove the pan or just the drain plug?

kjc, that all drained out through the drain plug. I would assume because it has been sitting for a couple months, maybe more fluid accumulated in the pan?

Back