• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Xj ratrod!?!?!

ILoveJeeps

NAXJA Forum User
I've had this idea of a xj ratrod idk if it's been done before. My plan would be to -slam it on its nuts
-rust the hood,fenders,roof,door etc
-cracked whitewall tires
-exhaust coming out of the hood
-matte black wheels
-chop top the roof to make it lower
Alright I kinda ran out of ideas so if you all have some feel free to share them. :cheers: NAXJA

I get the idea of a ratrod, but why do things have to be faked so bad. Lemme grind off the paint and let it sit out and rust. Cracked tires? That's just unsafe and kinda dumb.

Cool idea I guess, but maybe build a ratrod frame and throw a XJ body on top of it or something.

Why not just get a 2wd, jack it up a bit, fade the paint a bit more if it isn't already or paint it a single flat finish, put a loud exhaust on it, skinnies in the front, something big and fat for rear tires, and make it look like a Gasser. That whole grind or chemicals to strip the paint off bs is really,really stupid looking, especially on new cars. To me, if it has a real patina that doesn't affect the longevity of the sheetmetal, it's not bad, actually kinda earned, but even adding a bit of patina that isn't there let alone stripping the paint and letting it rust is well, just kinda fake. As for cracked White Walls......it's an XJ, not a 50's Jeepster and tires in that shape are just dangerous. When it comes to chopping it's top, I honestly think you need to print up and cut out then rearrange some pictures of an XJ or play with Photoshop. The XJ probably won't look as good as you think with a lowered lid. Power wise, a stroker with some sort of supercharged stroker poking through the hood and full exhaust with a cut out dumping before the crossmember would be interesting, wouldn't be the most powerful setup, but probably better than a junk yard smog SBC with a bunch of rusty crap and half assed exhaust thrown on it like many rat rods I've seen. I'd even consider gutting it on the inside and making aluminum panels to replace the stock stuff.

Jusy my thoughs.

Rat Rods. Gotta love them. If it were me, I would shop for a 2wd and then slam it down as hard as possible. As in, section the front axle to lower the front slam it down. The rears end can be converted to spring under and that drops the back.

IMO, it should be Supercharged as well. But then, I am a tad biased on that subject...

Keep in mind here that the roof is the major structural element in the body. If you just cut it, the body will become jello. Have seen this with my very own Baby Blues... So, it will need to be braced.

You may want to think about "antiquing" the side windows. You know how car windows were with the early safety glass? They would delaminate and turn yellow. At least one would have to be cracked...

As to the finish. My Brother, who lives in Kingman, pulls old junkers in out of the desert and after building the suspension and drive train, puts a matte clear coat on the rusted panels. If this is the look you are wanting, it can be reproduced by carefully sanding the paint down to the steel and then apply the requisite chemicals to the metal to oxidize it.

There is a ton o' fun to be had so, have at it!

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1107362

still in the works, but well worth following-- good stuff starts toward the end of the second post.

20131116_125237.jpg

I guess if I really wanted to build a rat rod I would get a model t and do what o-gauge steamer said but instead of lifting it I would lower it. As for the troll remarks it makes has much since as a frigderator being in the shower.

Last edited:
Back