• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

custom steering/track bar with heims

sneakyjap96

NAXJA Forum User
ok so im taking the lazy way at this cause i hate being on the pc hoping some one with simular experiance has done the same ok im building my own steering n track bar for my xj sitting at about 6 in lift i wanna use heims set on the rff stuffs 3/4 or 7/8 not sure which one yet or which is better to use i will be using the same heims for the track bar imput would be nice

you have a couple options if you arent going to do some sort of inverted Y/T steering...

Steering001.jpg

steeringfixed.jpg

its not super appealing to me either, but i do know someone who ran it with no complaints. id personally want to put the bolt in double sheer. if your not lifted past 5", and plan to run the stock axle side track bar mount... the second picture is probably the better option.

I ran the heims stacked for over a year of abuse, including ripping a steering box off the frame once and snapping a sector shaft on another trip. The 3/4" bolt was as good as the day I put it in. I decided to do this for piece of mind.
17B0EE97-9642-43BF-8859-02F45FCB14FE-1085-0000009EA505AC2D_zps868cd2f8.jpg

Yes, that bolt is too short. It was the 1 I ran before the 3/4" and 3/8" plating was done. It's been changed out since the picture.

Ya I have been fallowing you builds an seen that after I post this I was just lost at first but then seen you swapped in a 60 cause I was looking at my knuckle n build something similar

It's a 44, but yes it's a bit different than the 30. You could run a jb4x4 histeer bracket with the drag link bolted to it and the tierod bolted knuckle to knuckle. It would still be mounted in single shear, but each heim would be on its own bolt.

Well if you ran it stacked an had no problem you abuse your jeep more then I plan to at the moment plus only running 33s ATM an I own a welder an a cut off wheel anything can happen

I would run 3/4th heims. As 7/8th you drill out a lot and take a lot of material off the knuckle. 3/4th is plenty strong. That's what I'm running on my hp44

Be careful stacking both otk. As then you have a single bolt holding both drag link and tie rod. Just a lot of force on that one bolt. Carry an extra bolt if you go that route with you. I love my heim steering. More response over tre and there a lot stronger to.

7/8" heims with 3/4" high misalignment spacers on the drag link and 3/4" heims on the tie rod because you don't need the misalignment. 3/4" bolts.

7/8" heims with 3/4" high misalignment spacers on the drag link and 3/4" heims on the tie rod because you don't need the misalignment. 3/4" bolts.

Yes this is correct. Also get a 7/8 shank on the heim. 3/4th in a little small for a shank.

3/4 by 7/8 shank
7/8 by 7/8 shank

Those are exactly what you need!!!!

O and missalignment spacers for 7/8 down to 3/4.

For your trac bar get 7/8th by 7/8 shank heims with a missalignment spacer from 7/8 down to 3/4

Back