• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need cooling advise...

Sneaky

NAXJA Forum User
Twice now after doing a climb up some logging roads I have turned off the Jeep and it has boiled over. While driving the temp is just over 215. When I shut it off and it boils over I have turned the ignition on and the temp is in the red. The first time I did this I was able to start the Jeep right back up and the temp dropped back down and quit boiling over. The second time it was too hot to just start right back up. After it was done boiling over it started just fine and I refilled the radiator with water from a stream near by.

I know I need a new radiator cause of a very very small leak at the point of where the plastic end tank meets the aluminum. Also suspect a new cap. I also plan on a high flow water pump.

What's the best radiator I can buy? Not sure I want a three row though.

What have you guys done to keep your Jeeps cool? I've searched and Googled and I'm just plain wore out from all of that searching.

CSF 3 row all metal from radiatorbarn is the best.. though you said you didnt want a 3 row. I think they may have a 2 row as well.

fix the rad first then see how it performs before doing more. you're up north enough that you dont want to over cool.

flush system and replace radiator first, then go from there. verify cap is good. stream water isnt the best thing for the cooling system either.

I believe the CSF 3 core call metal has 3 - 3/8" cores, and the stock max cool ones can be found with a 1.5" core. something to think about. I have a 2 core all aluminum with 1" cores AE1193 I think was the part number. If I was closer to a stock setup I would do the 1.5" 1-core , they are about 78$ on rockauto and all the other online cheap parts places. A leaky rad means the system might not be holding the proper pressure.

Last edited:
I put an all aluminum Champion 2 row radiator in mine and now on a hot day driving through the city with my AC blasting it still doesn't ever go past 210, even when I drive like its a race car.

my advice is to do a good system flush, swap in the champion radiator or whatever one you choose and then press on. that should fix the problem. that and double check your thermostat is working properly. just my .02

I run a CFS 3 row ,with two factory electric fans..never an issue.. now I have upgraded the fans due to one died of old age to the dirt bound aluminum 3 fan shroud.and 3 new 10" fans from amazon.. and I expect to have the same maybe better performance with the extra fan.. the CSF radiator works fantastic. if i were to buy today I would get another CSF unit. and the dirtbound offroad shroud is very well made and well thought out piece and I recommend it to anyone looking to upgrade. get a Chapion or CFS radiator all metal...you will be very very happy you did

I think I've decided on the Champion 2 row radiator. Is this a direct swap? Modifying is no problem if need be, I just would rather not. I'm going to do that and a good flush and new thermostat. I was thinking of also doing the ZJ fan clutch, setup the electric fan on a thermal switch and also a manual switch, this should be really easy if I diode isolate and use relays. Thanks for all the input.

when I added my aux trans cooler, that lowered my temps by 5 degrees, just something to think about as well.

I went with a csf or champion 2 row a couple of years ago, can't remember which off the top of my head right now. Never had a problem with cooling even in the temps here over 105 in the summer. I chose 2 or 3 rows due to the chance that 3 rows possibly limiting air flow with a stock fan system.

You'll be less likely to overheat on logging roads after your regear also.

I didn't mean to start an argument amongst members... I know there are pro's and con's to either a 2 or 3 row. Personally I think a 2 row will allow better airflow to dissipate heat. This will also allow more into the engine compartment. Either is going to have its advantage and can work better than the other depending on the environment it is put in. Thanks for all your help and info. I've made up my decision and will be ordering the Champion 2 row Monday. Along with a Hesco water pump, new thermostat and going to do a coolant flush. At the same time I'm going to pull the radiator core and see if its leaking at all. I sometimes smell coolant in the cabin and suspect a very small seep or leak.

I know there are pro's and con's to either a 2 or 3 row. Personally I think a 2 row will allow better airflow to dissipate heat.

The factory heavy duty cooling option was a two core radiator. I'm sure they spent plenty of time looking at what works the best for a variety of reasons. And they didn't ask forum experts either, lol.
My favorite OEM replacement rad was the all steel Modine two core, but Modine was bought a few years back and I'm not sure if anyone makes one with that quality at a decent price.

Back