• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear bumpers ripping off need to BRACE ideas?

banging baja

NAXJA Forum User
my issue being is for one the threaded holes used to mount the bumper get pulled through the sheet metel. 2nd issue is even nuts or bolts are getting pulled through.
Image11122012134542.jpg

I wanna fix this right i was thinking of running some thicker plate across the back panal for support but in fear it will just bend the whole rear sheet section and possible seperate it from my frame
Heres my bumper that im working with
Image11122012134600.jpg

if u could throw me some ideas ive done some research but have only came up with a slide in frame bumper or a cheesy little brace that ties frame and this panel together i wanna drag my truck backwards uphill if need be thx u

...a slide in frame bumper...

This.

Run box tubing into the "framerails" with holes drilled and tapped in the bottom, to match the hitch mounting holes.

Then a piece of 2x1/4" flat to reinforce the frame from below...

Oh, and welcome to NAXJA! And nice nuts.

Robert

This.

Run box tubing into the "framerails" with holes drilled and tapped in the bottom, to match the hitch mounting holes.

Then a piece of 2x1/4" flat to reinforce the frame from below...

Oh, and welcome to NAXJA! And nice nuts.

Robert

yes.

the stock bumper mounting holes were never meant to take ANY force from recovery or towing. You need to tie into the factory hitch/skid mounting points.

i ditched the sheetmetal crossmember for a 3x3x3/16 angle iron one that is tied into my frame stiffners and shackle boxes with some additional bracing

xmem.jpg

00720.JPG

um i like the idea of getting a piece of box and slide it into the frame rail this will stiffen the frame internally. Really its just building the reverse of my bumper. but i think ill use the 3x3x3/16 angle iron as well id like to tow with my bumper as well so i think this will do this

(i dont have cad so paint will do lol)
rearbumperdesign.jpg

top part is my bumper brace design use the 3x3x3x16 angleiron welded to 2 4x2 rect tube to this angle iron and slip the whole thing into the frame. the attach my bumper onto the new (bumper brace) heh? heh? the blue represents were i want to add onto my bumper cause i did the cut and fold mod red is for the holes and for a reciver to fit onto my bumper.

thxs for the ideas think i got a direction now

my issue being is for one the threaded holes used to mount the bumper get pulled through the sheet metel. 2nd issue is even nuts or bolts are getting pulled through.
Image11122012134542.jpg

I wanna fix this right i was thinking of running some thicker plate across the back panal for support but in fear it will just bend the whole rear sheet section and possible seperate it from my frame
Heres my bumper that im working with
Image11122012134600.jpg

if u could throw me some ideas ive done some research but have only came up with a slide in frame bumper or a cheesy little brace that ties frame and this panel together i wanna drag my truck backwards uphill if need be thx u

Maybe your nuts are too heavy?:eeks1: I tied mine in with angle iron brackets kicked off the trailer hitch bolts!

got some frame bracing done today
Image11142012162531.jpg

the bottom part were u got cut the frame out to remove the plate that attaches those rubber thing that got rebraced with some 10 guage as well
and some more
downsized_Image11142012162545.jpg

got one side shackle bolt trimed and my 35" 2x4 is shoved in there i plan to cut it down so i can weld it to the backside of my bumper were the plate is for the factory mounts
bumperdesign.jpg

so im sortta gunna copy what i just saw above blue being my welded area red being mounting locations so i will be able to have both 4 bolts to the factory mounts and the hitch mounts or do u think just the hitch mounts will do and get rid of the body mounts?
idk im building as i go lol thxs for the ideas everyone
heres my 2x4 in
Image11132012214834.jpg

you might as well use the stock points in addition to the hitch points. They are easily incorporated into the design and add insurance. I had a poorly designed homebrew that created cracks in the rear x-member. We welded those up, plated the inside corner where they tore, and then I added the tube inserts to my rigid bumper mounting system to strengthen the whole shebang.

Cracks - like this on both sides
DSC02631.jpg

DSC02636.jpg

cracks welded
1332085063.jpg

braces/patches for inside corners
1323721197.jpg

welded into place
1323721134.jpg

that took care of the repairs.

2x4 tube welded to rigid brackets
1332084943.jpg

in place
1332084817.jpg

done
1323803827.jpg

well i got my thread insert done
downsized_Image11172012175737.jpg

and i got my frame rails done and drilled and welded onto the bumper i was given 36" of 2x4 (it was cheaper than 22 no cut charge) which was perfect cause that gave me enough to make some sides for my bumper to go with the cut and fold mod
downsized_Image11182012141639.jpg

downsized_Image11182012134929.jpg

downsized_Image11182012152624.jpg

downsized_Image11182012152635.jpg

well its not real fancy but i think it will get the job done. i messed up and welded the nuts on backwards on a thread insert and i got realign my holes in the frame. but two easy fixes with other 10 guage strip and a drill bit and a little paint ill be done with the bumper woohoo!

Last edited:
Back