• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 pan

If you extend your pan down make sure you add some sort of ridge to keep the two metal fluid tubes from the valve body to the trans housing in place, IIRC those are held in by the O-rings on them and the placement of the pan alone. Might be wrong on that, it has been years since I had the pan off an AW4, but it is definitely something to think about before doing anything.

If you extend your pan down make sure you add some sort of ridge to keep the two metal fluid tubes from the valve body to the trans housing in place, IIRC those are held in by the O-rings on them and the placement of the pan alone. Might be wrong on that, it has been years since I had the pan off an AW4, but it is definitely something to think about before doing anything.

Also your pickup (filter ) needs to be lowered to pick up the fluid especially on inclines. The fluid will move and could cause the pump to suck air if you are at any angle for a length of time. I built my own on a C4 Ford and had to drop the pickup tube. If you look at race car oil pans that are not dry sump, the pan has baffles in it to keep some oil where it needs to be!!

yea i was just curious about the aftermarket. ill wait til i got problems before i make the deep pan. i have no issues... just one day after wheeling went under my jeep and the pan was really hot.

Also your pickup (filter ) needs to be lowered to pick up the fluid especially on inclines. The fluid will move and could cause the pump to suck air if you are at any angle for a length of time. I built my own on a C4 Ford and had to drop the pickup tube. If you look at race car oil pans that are not dry sump, the pan has baffles in it to keep some oil where it needs to be!!

If you lower the pan bottom, but compensate with fluid volume why would that be a problem?

Yeah, I wish someone made an aluminum deep pan, maybe 1" - 2" inches deeper with a magnetic drain plug. I added a transmission cooler to mine, but I still would like extra fluid capacity from a slightly deeper pan. I might go with the idea of buying two pans and have them welded. There's probably very little benefit from doing this, but I'm overkill. :D

The pan already has magnets on/in it.

Yes, but I was talking about an aftermarket pan and the features that I would like to see added. I would want an all aluminum pan with a magnetic drain plug like the Mag-Hytec's have.

Back