• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Boomerang shackles - JKS vs. RE

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
Gotta love how quickly a modified XJ becomes a money pit... Everything's wearing out now, 2 years into the build, so it's time for a major refresh. Up next on the plate: tackling the issues with my rear leaf springs.

I desperately need to replace my RE leaf spring bushings, which will be done using good ol' YJ bushings from Napa (as the RE bushings didn't last worth a damn), so I'd like to go ahead and fix the contact issues I'm having with the stock XJ shackles.

That being said, there are 2 major contenders for boomerang shackles: JKS and Rubicon Express. They both advertise the same approximate lift, which would indicate to me that their eye-to-eye lengths are the same - is this the case? If one is shorter than the other, I'd like to get it to minimize undesired lift as a result.

Quality-wise, I'm getting the feeling I'll have better luck with JKS these days - what are you guys' feelings on this?

I run TNT's (1.5")and they havent given me any issues. Been running em for about 3 years now. One thing to add I dont off road much since it is a 2WD (Mall Crawler). The only trails it sees is when I go camping about 2 or 3 times a year.

If you're looking for less than 1.5" BDS/Zone makes a 1" boomerang.

IMAG0255.jpg

I second the Zone 1" boomerangs.

My stock shackles kept hitting the frame and I replaced them with the shackles from Zone. I did get some rear lift but it was very minimal. These shackles are also greasable which was a huge plus for me.

2" longer than stock ... I'd measure mine but I'm 248km's away right now.

What about HDOR shackle relocators, and an MJ shackle?

Thanks for the input guys, definitely things to think about. Honestly, I'm surprised the manufacturers don't make this information easy to find (bastards).

What about HDOR shackle relocators, and an MJ shackle?
That's a good option, but I'm not in the market for shackle relocation right now (extra cost I can't fully justify). Thanks though :)

I run TNT's (1.5")and they havent given me any issues. Been running em for about 3 years now. One thing to add I dont off road much since it is a 2WD (Mall Crawler). The only trails it sees is when I go camping about 2 or 3 times a year.

TNT doesn't make them anymore, they use JKS now. I am getting ready to replace my TNT's after many years of use. They are bent, tweaked and twisted.

I have been considering the Zone's as they state that have 3/8" side plates on them.

Rock on, thanks for all the info guys.

I'm stressing over the lengths because it'll have a substantial impact on an impending and large "refresh and finally do things the right way" investment. Short shackles means no need for front leveling. Long shackles means ACOS, but then they need to be long enough to justify it. Plus dozens of other hypothetical outcomes...

In any case, I started calling around. Here is what I've got so far (eye-to-eye lengths):

Stock shackles: 3.125"
JKS boomerangs: 5.125"
RE boomerangs: 6.000"

I'll call BDS and any other mfg I can find offering similar boomerangs and post the findings.

Ironman4x4fab has some booms, and can make any length you want.

Ironman also has some great adjustable shackles (not boomerang though). These can help with the ever so present XJ lean to really dial in the leveling and necessary lift without any need for ACOS. They can even compensate for some leaf sag over time.

FWIW, I ordered a set of Zone shackles because they claimed in writing (on the website) the side plates are 3/8" thick. Wrong! 1/4" on everything. Still seem pretty beefy and I will probably hold on to them, but it sucks their products don't match the description.

Back