• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which leaf springs do you like

Mike Axle

NAXJA Forum User
I will be buying a set of 4.5" leaf springs and want to know who likes what brand. I am considering all brands. Deaver sounds like a sure bet but pricey. Is anyone running Rustys, Rough Country, Sky Jacker, RE? I am looking for a soft ride. Any other suggestions.

RE's are known to be stiff and give more lift than advertised. Skyjacker only carries 3" and 6" if I'm not mistaken. Rough Country 4.5" springs are a bit stiff, ask me how I know. Rusty's is known to make soft springs but always have bushing issues.

This is what I plan to swap out my stiff RC springs for:

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merc...=IROR&Product_Code=IR-X3RSP&Category_Code=PFX

Six leaf pack that's only 10% stiffer than stock.

I would recommend you running a shackle/spring combo. The less arch the spring has, the better it will ride so a 3.5" spring with 1" shackle would be softer than a 4.5" spring (not always, but in most cases). I need 4.5" too and those Iron Rock springs are gonna be paired with 1" shackles.

My friend has 4.5 rustys springs they were cheep and they ride nice 1 3/4 year and still soft they havent sagged at all and the bushings are still great I have RE leafs and sfter 5 years I had to replace bushing and ad a eye leaf to bring out of the huge sag they had going .Hope that helps some .

I have installed a used set of Deaver leafs, and they work great. Had a set of Rough Country 4.5 on my old '89, and they were good too, but very stiff... The used Deaver springs give that big-Caddy ride, and great flex.

If you get the OME 2" HD leafs, most net around 3.5" Then maybe go with the HD offroad eng shackle relocation brackets.

If you get the OME 2" HD leafs, most net around 3.5" Then maybe go with the HD offroad eng shackle relocation brackets.

I got 2" out of my 2" OME springs. Had to add two of their AAL's to each pack to get it up to 3.5" and then 1" shackle for 4.5". Still rode very nicely LOL.

if you arent spending the coin on deavers, nationals, alcans, or anything fancy the next step down before getting into the real cheap stuff would be clayton. custom made in canada for clayton, military wrapped eyes, 7 leafs in the pack, quality pressed in sleeved bushings. they ride just fine.

i have run re 4.5's, re 3.5's, and rockkrawler 4.5's and they all sucked. none of them could keep thier height for more than a few months and they all had some pretty intense axle wrap and i broke some u-joints and yokes because of it.

if you arent spending the coin on deavers, nationals, alcans, or anything fancy the next step down before getting into the real cheap stuff would be clayton. custom made in canada for clayton, military wrapped eyes, 7 leafs in the pack, quality pressed in sleeved bushings. they ride just fine.

i have run re 4.5's, re 3.5's, and rockkrawler 4.5's and they all sucked. none of them could keep thier height for more than a few months and they all had some pretty intense axle wrap and i broke some u-joints and yokes because of it.

this. dont forget bigoffroad's leafs either, about the same price as clayton.

Looking at their pictures on their site, the 4.5"ers only have the front leaf mil-wrapped. Ive been watching this thread, to see who's leafs I should look into. And looking at their site, like I said, it looks like only the front eye is.

Looking at their pictures on their site, the 4.5"ers only have the front leaf mil-wrapped. Ive been watching this thread, to see who's leafs I should look into. And looking at their site, like I said, it looks like only the front eye is.

the 4.5" pack is just the 6.5" pack with the third leaf taken out.

but yea, the front is mil wrapped where the back isnt. i never even paid attention to that though. didnt know the shackle end came mil wrapped on anything

Well lucky for me I have brown hair lol. Anyways, I know people claim the RC's are stiff, but since at the same time, ill be relocating the shackle hangar anyways, giving proper angle, Im not sure how much those claims would affect me. Although longevity would still.

It'll still be stiff. I got their springs, relocation brackets, and a good angle. I still had to remove one of the bottom leaves to soften the damn things up. I guess they expect everyone to have a tire carrier and 900 lbs of gear in the back.

Oh, if you guys were talking about Clayton's springs, yes they got new springs instead of removing a leaf. Seems that removing a leaf puts too much stress on the leaf above the one that was removed and causes it to sag so they remedied the situation by getting full 4.5" leaf packs instead of removing a leaf.

this again. ^

i had RE 3.5 and they sagged unevenly, stupidly traded for a nearly new set of RC 4.5

i am running the RC 4.5" and they are all 'S' shaped now due to axle wrap which has broken u-joints and a driveshaft. they sit at about 2" and i dont have degree shims for them and my pinion angle is perfect. spend money on good leafs. youll be glad you did

i carry heavy loads a few times a year and i am going to be getting something from deaver or national. national is ten minutes away from me so im leaning that way

Have a set of RC 4.5 just pack not whole lift
Flex really well but not at 4.5 anymore prob close to 3 or 3.5 but I got a good deal on them

Back