• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

suspension lift help

93xjinc11c

NAXJA Forum User
does anyone know a website or somewhere online or maybe even send me a file on how to install a 3 inch suspension lift? going to be buying one soon and i wana save money by installing it myself. i am good with working on vehicles just havent done a lift yet lol. please help!

in most cases, especially at that height. it's unbolt stock stuff, bolt in good stuff. drop vehicle onto its own weight before final tightening anything with a bushing. i ignore torque on suspension in favor of watching things, check it right after test drive, then again at a week or two. you'll need an alignment, but you can do that at home too.

figure out what kit your gonna use, then ask any questions once you have the new hardware in posetion, most of the time questions answer themselfs when your holding the part in your hand.

many other vehicles have much more elaborate lift kit installs than xj's.... i cant think of any 3" lift kits that would be hard to install...

welcome to the site.

Start with pb blaster. That is the first thing. Start now and repeat. It will make life better. Be ready to replace the upper rear shock bolts. <- has been covered on here just search.

Follow the instructions they are usually fairly good for someone who already has some mechanical knowledge and experience. Like bert01xj said PB blaster or some other penetrating oil will be your best friend here. Take a can or two and soak down all the bolts that you will be removing a few days in advance before you plan to install. I usually start with the front suspension first then move to the rear. My cousin did side to side and it really was way more trouble doing it that way. With the front many kits have you drill a new hole on the axle end bracket for the track bar to relocate it to keep the axle center, and some kits (like BDS) give you a bracket to bolt in on the axle end track bar bracket to relocate the track bar. I find the bracket to be better since it is stronger and just good insurance which is worth the extra $20-$30. With the front I highly recommend removing the lower control arms at the axle end to help with removing the coils which if your kit comes with new lower arms, you will be removing them anyways. I have tried using coil spring compressors and they are also more trouble than good and kind of dangerous. Also remove the track bar at the axle end first before you try removing the old coils and installing the new ones as this too will help here. If the rear is getting full leaf packs then it is just a matter of removing the spring bolts, but if it is add-a-leafs then make sure to have atleast two big C-clamps to hold the pack together while removing the center bolts and they will help with compressing the leaves back together once the new one has been put in place. If you have access to pneumatic air tools then take advantage of these they will be very helpful and speed up the process.

Good luck and happy wheeling!

ok cool thanks guys. i did see some videos on youtube which will help me out alot. i am looking to buy this kit right here http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_3x.html with the new leafs. what other things should i buy that i will need and will help out alot. and where can i buy them? i just hate doing something to a vehicle then having to stop coz i have to order or buy something. i seen that a bolt breaks? where can i get this? thank you all for your help! cant wait to get this project started

and if anyone knows a cheaper kit or one that is better for about the same price with the full leafs please let me know. the cheaper the better which means more stuff on the jeep lol.

Back