• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ Died......

B.RAIDER

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ, 4.0, AT, with factory security alarm.

reaper1972 pulled into my driveway last night and just before he stopped to park in the driveway his jeep died.

It will run on starting fluid….
He put a new fuel pump on it sometime since February.
I’m going this morning to pick up a fuel pressure tester.

Could this be a fuel injector problem?

We switched the ASD relay under the hood …… had no effect….

He put a new coil pack on in March when it was running rough….fixed that problem (has thread on here about this).

He replaced the head last month because his head cracked….. (hey it’s a 2000)

Been running fine until last evening. It’s his DD.

Found this thread this morning about the security alarm:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1032154&highlight=WILL+RUN+ON+STARTING+FLUID&page=2

No sure if the SS is the same.

Is there something or some way we can check to see if the Security System could be his problem?

We will put it on a scanner this evening when he gets off work to see if any codes comes up.

I’m posting up for him on this matter because he is at work and his Jeep in at my house.
So any input on this would be appreciated.
TIA

Last edited:
if it will run on starting fluid it is oviosly a fuel problem check fuel presure i will guess there is none than check to see that you have power to the fuel pump back at the tank if there is power and still no presure than i would say the pump is bad or there is no gas in it

if it will run on starting fluid it is oviosly a fuel problem check fuel presure i will guess there is none than check to see that you have power to the fuel pump back at the tank if there is power and still no presure than i would say the pump is bad or there is no gas in it
I forgot to add....we can hear the fuel pump come on.
We will check the fuel pressure for sure.

Find the dark green with white stripe either at the rear by the tank or by the fuel pump relay next to the asd relay and check for 12volts when starting, if no 12v, jump 12 v to it and try to start, that would help narrow it down.

Fuel pressure then check for injector pulse.

If it runs using starting fluid....that would rule out the injector pulse....wouldn't it?
It was a thought before we found it would run on starting fluid.......

We're leaning towards it being a clogged filter or fuel pump problem.

We really don't know how the alarm system acts when there is a problem with it.
I'm thinking it shuts down the fuel delivery.

When your saying it has the factory security system I assume you mean the VATS system. The ignition key should have a grey head on it. If you see an icon displayed on the dash cluster that shows a key with a circle/slash over it then I would suspect a security system problem. Does he have another key to try?

The fact that your hearing the pump prime on the initial key cycle makes me think that the pump and all the wiring is good. If the computer doesn't see a cranking signal to show the engine is running its not going to re-energize the fuel pump to make it run after the initial prime command.

If it runs on starting fluid that rules out the ignition side but it doesn't mean that the injectors are pulsing.

Well I just tested the fuel pressure..... and it is 0 PSI with key just on and 0 PSI when cranking it over. My 88 shows 38 PSI.

You can hear the pump come on then stop with each key on and off cycle.
So.... at this point I'm thinking it (the fuel pump) is All Bark and No Bite.

He's gonna tear into it this evening...if nothing else shows to be the case.

What should his PSI be on his 2000 model?

When your saying it has the factory security system I assume you mean the VATS system. The ignition key should have a grey head on it. If you see an icon displayed on the dash cluster that shows a key with a circle/slash over it then I would suspect a security system problem. Does he have another key to try?

The fact that your hearing the pump prime on the initial key cycle makes me think that the pump and all the wiring is good. If the computer doesn't see a cranking signal to show the engine is running its not going to re-energize the fuel pump to make it run after the initial prime command.

If it runs on starting fluid that rules out the ignition side but it doesn't mean that the injectors are pulsing.
Well the key he has is not one as you described....its is just a key and the has the little auto lock...unlock featue on his key ring (I had to go look at his key in the Jeep). So I'm guessing it does not have the SS as he thought.

If it runs using starting fluid....that would rule out the injector pulse....wouldn't it?

On the contrary, it points out that fuel is the missing element. Fuel pump sounds like it is running, if we a**ume that there is enough pressure and volume then that would leave getting fuel through the injectors.

It was a thought before we found it would run on starting fluid.......

We're leaning towards it being a clogged filter or fuel pump problem.

We really don't know how the alarm system acts when there is a problem with it.
I'm thinking it shuts down the fuel delivery.

Originally Posted by B.RAIDER

Originally Posted by joe_ peters :
On the contrary, it points out that fuel is the missing element. Fuel pump sounds like it is running, if we a**ume that there is enough pressure and volume then that would leave getting fuel through the injectors.

That does make sense...... and I know your just replying towards the begining of the thread before the fuel pressure test. GOOD INFO TO KNOW ANYWAYS

So, since we have found that there is no fuel pressure...that does rule out the injector pulse......Right?

Rules out the injector pulse unless you have two simultaneous issues (doubtful). Post up what you find.

Good luck.

So, since we have found that there is no fuel pressure...that does rule out the injector pulse......Right?

you've got spark, which means the ECU is getting all the information it needs to also pulse the injectors. It's highly unlikely that you have a complete failure of all the injectors at once, you've verified no fuel pressure, so replace the fuel pump and it will likely fire right back up.

Back