• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to buy a new HEAD?

Is there anyone better than Alabama Cylinder Head? They come with coil pack mounts.

Those "bosses" bother you that much?

S & S engines out of Spokane WA. I've dealt with them before (currently running one of their 4.7L engines in the wife's WJ). They will sell just the head, but they don't list the price on their site. Worth giving them a call tomorrow.

Thanks, I'll give them a call. The Alabama Head is $495.

Ok, must have misread you.

Ok, must have misread you.

Or I should have communicated it better.

Is there anything else I need to do while we got the head off? New injectors? Coils? Engine parts? anything?

I was going to add a fancy aluminum valve cover…….. I thought it looked cool. I’m not sure if the extra cooling is worth the upgrade, but it looks sexy.

36648-lg.jpg

If you have a 00-01 XJ you can get a used 2003+ head with the "TUPY" stamped on it. Give it a 3 angle valve job and you will be good.

On that valve cover you would have to used different PCV/vent elbows and oil cap as the ones on your steel one won't fit. And you would need a different gasket. Just get your stock one powder coated. About $60.

there's not that much "extra" cooling from that thing, it's purely aesthetics

Agree, however they sure dampen the valve train noise.

I took joe_peters recommendation to check out the regional forum and request information in hopes of finding the most competent shop in my area. Within 2 hours, I had a reply. I called a mechanic that requested that I take my XJ to a local radiator shop to test for hydrocarbons. Once I do the test, then we’ll know for sure if I have a cracked head or bad head gasket.

check out Clearwater Cylinder Head out of Florida. A little more expensive than alabama but comes with a better warranty. Talk to Pat and he can get one to you in 3 business days. I used them for the replacement head on my 2000

check out Clearwater Cylinder Head out of Florida. A little more expensive than alabama but comes with a better warranty. Talk to Pat and he can get one to you in 3 business days. I used them for the replacement head on my 2000

Thanks Emerscape, I'll consider them if and when I need a new head. I'll be pulling another UOA in 2,000 miles to see what's up.

Guys check out ebay!!!!!!!!!!!!

we are talking fully remanufactured heads, for $250 SHIPPED. I've dealt with online cylinder head remanufactures and have had good experience. How it works is, you place your order....you get the reman'd head, usually within 30 days you must send your old head back (any condition) in the box that your reman'd one came in, using the PRE-PAID shipping label....if not usually they will charge you $100 or so if you don't return the head.

THis is typical how these guys work these things.

For example http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REBU...rQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_1744wt_794

Guys check out ebay!!!!!!!!!!!!

we are talking fully remanufactured heads, for $250 SHIPPED. I've dealt with online cylinder head remanufactures and have had good experience. How it works is, you place your order....you get the reman'd head, usually within 30 days you must send your old head back (any condition) in the box that your reman'd one came in, using the PRE-PAID shipping label....if not usually they will charge you $100 or so if you don't return the head.

THis is typical how these guys work these things.

For example http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REBU...rQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_1744wt_794

These heads are REBUILT, not re-manufactured. Re-man means NEW parts. These are rebuilds--that does not mean they are of poor quality, but there is a world of difference between the two.

Back