• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My build

94xjstud

NAXJA Forum User
This is not so much a building thread as a built/improving thread but here we go . . . I started with a stock 94 xj, D30/older 8.25, np231 4.0L in 2005.
I added the rusty's 4.5 short arm with rubicon 31's (can't find any pics). Then I added warn bumpers front and rear, JCR sliders, black steelies and 33's. First pics I can find:
Hollister015.jpg

Hollister014.jpg

Hollister016.jpg

Bumpers started to wiegh down the xj so I upgraded the suspension a bit and went with rubicon express 5.5" springs and 1.5" boomerang shackles

Hollister035.jpg

Hollister037.jpg

Bent my upper control arms and tierod, so I upgraded to rough country arms and brackets and rustys tie rod

Hollister040.jpg

Hollister043.jpg

Added an 87 xj Dana 44. Put 4.56 and aussie lockers in the front and rear.

DSCF0475.jpg

Broke a few front shafts so I upgraded to the new/stronger shafts.

broke.jpg

Snapped the draglink and decided it was time to upgrade the steering with a ballistic fab kit

Hollister014-1.jpg

DSCF0912.jpg

Had some heating problems with a messed-up radiator, so I upgradded to a 3-cor radiator and hood vents

DSCF0848.jpg

DSCF0454.jpg

Crappy/not hot enough welds broke on the trail

DSCF0978.jpg

IMG00043-20100313-1548.jpg

Grinded the bad welds out and layed some good ones in

IMG00068-20100319-1135.jpg

IMG00071-20100319-1139.jpg

Added some hood pins

IMG00065-20100319-1134.jpg

IMG00064-20100319-1133.jpg

Made all four doors removable

IMG00057-20100316-2103.jpg

IMG00059-20100316-2105.jpg

Routed the intake through the cowl

GetAttachment13.jpg

GetAttachment14.jpg

Cut the front fender pinch seam and I have more recently cut more of my fenders for more flex room (no pics).

GetAttachment23.jpg

GetAttachment15.jpg

Added the Aurora back-up lights

GetAttachment12.jpg

GetAttachment1.jpg

Now I the only left to do is weld up my new track bar and brackets from ballistic fab. The plan is to weld the bracket to a 9" piece on angle steel (already cut and ready to go) and carefully weld that to the frame.

I flipped the steering over the knuckle for a little better clearance, but I am worried about the stress on the one grade-8 bolt. What do you think?

GetAttachment19.jpg

GetAttachment18.jpg

Cut the fender for more room, gonna put some door sealer stuff on the edge to clean it up.

GetAttachment17.jpg

The new track bar mount that will hopefully get welded on tomorrow.

GetAttachment24.jpg

GetAttachment16.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Yeah, that one bolt will get a lot of stress. I've seen here on Naxja where guys have made it double sheer by fabbing a bracket that it welded to the knuckle and covers it from the top of the heims.

Edit: cool build though

So my welder (neighbor) has been slacking on welding my stuff up, I know what an a**hole ha ha ha, so no progress on the trackbar.

I did get some new stuff though. I bought new steel shims, becuase my Rusty's ones exploded, and some differential guards so here are some pics
new.jpg

jeep-1.jpg

But as always there was a problem, the one of the ubolts sheared in half cause the nut was stuck, so I just gut off the other one. I'll be ordering some new ones soon to finish the job though. I also picked up some lights that I will be making into rock lights (making is the key word becuase the supplied wiring is ridiculously stupid). I'll post pics when I finish hopefully tomorrow.

Opinions and advice or always welcome

I mounted and wired up the rock lights. Took awhile cause I had to re-make all the wiring. There are two jammed up into the front fenders out of the way from tires and two drilled in the body next to frame but protected by the rock sliders. Problem is as soon as I got it all wired and running for a bit I blew a fuse, so I am going to replace and upgrade tomorrow. Pics:

rocklights1.jpg

rocklights2.jpg

Comments, questions and advice always welcome

Just a question of curiosity - Were the Rusty's springs softer than the RE springs? Looking at the pic the 4.5" Rusty's springs have 15 coils and the RE springs are an inch longer and have 13 coils.

Looking good btw.

Got bored as I was changing the oil on my honda so I mounted a fire extinguisher, my rock light switches and "built" a storage thing (cut an old clothes basket and screwed it to the opening in the back) to hold a first aid kit. Pics
extinguisher.jpg

switches.jpg

storage.jpg

Not much progress, but it I got the axle shims in and the new u-bolts put. All of the wheel are back on and hopefully on Sunday I am getting the track bar and mounts welded on (I have to move it like 30 ft. down the road to the welder)

Questions, comments and advice welcome

Back