• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

re 3.5 full pack problems

StylerG

NAXJA Forum User
just got the call, my lift is installed and rides horrible!
Sent me the wrong rear shocks (ome long travel) so i have the shocks from my old lift on still and the sway bar links from the factory on because they sent me the wrong ones.
Please tell me once i get these problems fixed it will ride as advertised, knowing ill need to some weight in the rear to soften the springs up...but until the springs soften up it bounces almost off the road in the rear...is this normal or what?

StylerG said:
just got the call, my lift is installed and rides horrible!
Sent me the wrong rear shocks (ome long travel) so i have the shocks from my old lift on still and the sway bar links from the factory on because they sent me the wrong ones.
Please tell me once i get these problems fixed it will ride as advertised, knowing ill need to some weight in the rear to soften the springs up...but until the springs soften up it bounces almost off the road in the rear...is this normal or what?

OME N35L and N36L (Long travel) should be perfect for that kit...

What is the part number on the spring packs themselves? I'm suspicious that you were sent 4.5" springs by mistake. Don't carry weight to try and break the springs in...go FLEX them. That'll settle things out. :)

Why are the OME long travel shocks wrong for the 3.5" RE packs? Every jeep I have built with the RE 3.5" SF kit with full packs the OME long travels worked fine. Did you get the N35L and N36L OME shocks, or are the part numbers different?

let me be a little more specific, they sent me the wrong rear shocks, they dont have the correct ends on them! The shocks should be perfect for the kit, i ordered it wanting the absolute best, was told by many thats what i would get, so im really wanting someone to tell me that when the right shocks are on, it will settle down

StylerG said:
let me be a little more specific, they sent me the wrong rear shocks, they dont have the correct ends on them! The shocks should be perfect for the kit, i ordered it wanting the absolute best, was told by many thats what i would get, so im really wanting someone to tell me that when the right shocks are on, it will settle down

When the right shocks are on, it will settle down...and so should you at that point. :) Have sold/helped install/wheeled with MANY of the RE6030/OME combos to local folks...and every one of them have been happy.

Thanks ha
you guys know your stuff more than anything else!
Now im going to have to order a SYE for a 242 transfer case because it lifted my jeep so much more than advertised....i think a H&T will be really one of the only semi affordable options i have, with a front driveshaft, which from what ive searched works great! Thanks again

H&T is fine, no issues with mine (knock on wood)

do u personally knwo all these parts are the wrong ones????? your first line says just got the call lift is installed. meaning u didnt do it yourself.

ricot83 said:
do u personally knwo all these parts are the wrong ones????? your first line says just got the call lift is installed. meaning u didnt do it yourself.

StylerG said:
"let me be a little more specific, they sent me the wrong rear shocks, they dont have the correct ends on them!"

That would imply that he does in fact know they are wrong..

thanks cal, i normally wouldnt let me jeep out of my hands, however with time being an issue, sometimes prof. mechanics are good for something!

I get that, lift kits probably arent the best time for a mechanic, but I know how the busy thing goes.

I tell the local kids I will help any one of them install their lift, at my place, with my tools and my help, just to force them to learn how everything goes together. Of the 5 that have taken that up, 4 have turned out to really hold a good mechanical understanding after.. the 5th.. well, not so much, but it was a nice try. :)

cal thats totally a cool thing to do. Deer hunting season opens this weekend and i couldnt afford to have my jeep down for that, i think the mechanic took about 3 hours to do the whole lift, align it and check my steering setup. Its professionally done, i dont have to take it anywhere for anything else, and hopefully my shocks will be in tomm. morning so i can be on the road tomm. afternoon! I had a dad to take me through all that stuff, so im happy to hear that others are getting some of the opportunities i had as a kid through you!

Yeah, I learned it all from my dad too.. I probably know a lot more about drivelines and suspension now than he does, but I'll never know what he knows about engines (He used to build them big, was in StreetRod several times, and knew the owners of McMullen Publishing really well, back in the day).

When I was a teenager he bought me a really old truck, and made me rebuild the entire thing. He also made me take my drivers test in it .. manual trans, manual steering, manual drum brakes. I learned a lot. By the time I was 15 I was doing body, transmissions and valvejobs, and building big block dodges for track by 17. If I hadn't decided that computers was the career for me, I might have done very well in the automotive world.

pic11.jpg

New-2.JPG

Sounds familiar...
but mine was a '67 chevy f/s p/u with a 468 BB, 400 turbo tranny with shift kit, 3:73 LSD that would white smoke the qtr on qtr.
Motor did around 475 hp to the wheels...

It was fun driving the old p/u in highschool and smoking all the 5.0's and camaro's

Good Times!

cal said:
Yeah, I learned it all from my dad too.. I probably know a lot more about drivelines and suspension now than he does, but I'll never know what he knows about engines (He used to build them big, was in StreetRod several times, and knew the owners of McMullen Publishing really well, back in the day).

When I was a teenager he bought me a really old truck, and made me rebuild the entire thing. He also made me take my drivers test in it .. manual trans, manual steering, manual drum brakes. I learned a lot. By the time I was 15 I was doing body, transmissions and valvejobs, and building big block dodges for track by 17. If I hadn't decided that computers was the career for me, I might have done very well in the automotive world.

well finally got to my jeep, couldnt budge the rear end suspension even when jumping on the trailer hitch ball! Took the old shocks off and immediately softened up, now waiting to get rear shocks in and start really softening the springs up. Do have some pretty bad driveline vibes (got 4.5" of lift out of the 3.5 kit) so trying to figure if i could just shim the rear axle, or if i will have to get a SYE....just the next step. I now breathe easier and understand how a RE kit is superior to so many other kits, even with the rear end riding like a jumping horse it drove in a straight line and i felt like i had control of my jeep for the first time in over a year! Thanks RC for making me appreciate a real lift even more

Back