• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Junk Yard Lift vs. This? Why not get this?

zeroforhire

NAXJA Forum User
Ok... I have read about the different junk yard lifts out there. I applaud all the ingenuity and such. I understand that junk yard lifts can be pretty cheap... (around $100)... But I found this...

http://www.jcwhitney.com/ADD-A-LEAF_KITS?ID=12;0;510000646;0;100001;ProductName;0;0;0;0;2005974;0;0

That plus some front springs is going to run around $100. This would give you around 2 inches of lift... if that is all I am looking for, why would I go the junkyard route? (assuming prices are similar)

Thanks.

An add-a-leaf will probably sag faster than a real lift spring or a bastard pack, since the add-a-leaf has to have a much higher spring rate than the existing pack to lift it, and by nature will take most of the abuse/weight till it gets bent down to fit the rest of the pack. It'll work for a while, though.

if you want some jc whitney aals go right ahead. aals sag down over time to prob 1-1.5" and you still have the rest of the old tired spring pack. furthermore if your current pack is very fatigued it may not lift it a full 2" if you only want 2" go ahead with the aal's. i mean if youre gonna buy jcwhitney at least check ebay and rustys ( if youre gonna go with cheap crap might as well get the cheapest crap) their aals are only 29$. also, for up front you can get some cheap 2" coils somewhere or just use zj v8 coils and 2 extra stock isolators per side. or 2" spacers can be bought used all the time for around 20$ on clist.

an add a leaf can sometimes be a little too stiff/firm than making a bastard pack. with either an add a leaf or bastard pack, you need to take the stock pack apart while leaving the main leaf attached to the shackle and front mount. an add a leaf adds a stiff spring to a soft pack where a bastard pack usually adds similair rated springs and you can mix and match for the height you desire. its better to have more leaves of similair spring rates then 1 stiff leaf added to softer springs.

either way though, both can get the job done.

make a good bastard pack, I went with an XJ/XJ pack and went from 4 leafs per side to 7, it gave me 2.5" and increased the load capacity a lot, S10 and Dakota packs work well too tho

for the front either pick up some rough country coils or some 2" spacers from IRO

I had a Rough Country lift from JC Whitney, paid around $245 for it new with shocks. It was a 3" lift which consisted of a short AAL in the rear and block with coils up front. The AALs lasted about 15 minutes before sagging down again.

call up teraflex. they have reasonably priced 2in budget boost kits

i got my (full sized) blazer springs for $40. stiff as heck but you can load the back with whatever you can fit in there. took out a few leafs, left the XJ main gave me about 3.5"

I was getting ready to order a Rough Country Kit that included springs up front and a long aal in the rear. Is the longer aal going to hold up better than the short?

What about rear shackles? I'm assuming you would need to shim your rear axle though.

Last edited:
Last edited:
you can get a rough country 1.5 inch shackle spacer lift from jc whitney for 100$ shipped comes with hydro 8000 shocks then you head over to rockauto and buy grand cherokee v8 springs for like 78$ish then to revive your worn out stock leafs quadratec has oem hd leafs(1in lift) for about 100 per leaf thats like a 3in lift with full leafs for a reasonable price good ride no sag no aal

YOu can get a pair of full lift leaf packs from rusty's for around 200$

Back