• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with spending my money

J.Green

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to do some upgrades of my 98 XJ 4.0L. It has 155k miles on it and its a Daily Driver. I've been searching for a few weeks so don't tell me to go search. I posted yesterday and had over 25 views but no responses. Please, some input from fellow jeeperz is needed and this jeep needs help. I'm on a budget and want the best for my jeep, so please help me select from what choices I've narrowed it down to.

What I want to get done:
1) Headers
2) Intake and Exhaust
3) 3" lift w/ new leaf springs

Besides these things I'm taking care of the small talk like a new battery, cap and wires, 31x10.5 M/Ts, and other general upgrades.

1) Headers - I just ordered an APN manifold about an hour ago for 150 bucks shipped, so thats done. (After research on here of course)

2) Intake/Exhaust - I found this kit at rusty's:
http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...y_Code=PER_AIR
Is the package worth the ~300 dollars? Is the airtube any good?

Instead of the rusty's package I could just go with a rugged ridge intake which costs $200 alone. http://www.central4wd.com/category.aspx?page=id|94320
If I go with a standalone intake I'll probably do a custom 2.5" exhaust system with a high flow cat and a nice muffler but have not seen any specific details on how EXACTLY to go about it... so any info on that would be great.

3) Lift - 3" lift w/ new leaf springs (I really want the springs and not the add-a leafs) I don't know a lot about lifting vehicles so I need to know everything I'll need to lift a Daily Driver in a weekend.
The two kits I have my eye on are:

i)
This rough country kit with the new rear leaf springs. What options should I add on to this if I were to purchase it?
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_3x.html

ii)
the RE 3.5" super-ride kit...found for $584.00 and ill have to add on shocks for about 200 more... making it about $800.00....
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Suspen...px?part=RE6025

and I'm still not sure if I will need the 250 dollar slipyoke eliminator kit
http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scri...?idproduct=567
by going up 3" does anyone know if I will be ok without it or should I just go ahead and count on getting it?

Any suggestions are appreciated on where I can find a decent kit for under or around 750 bucks that includes the shocks and anything critical to lift a Daily Driver XJ. I don't want to go over 4".

This jeep needs some lift!!!!

Thejeep.jpg

Here I break the new jeep in...

Last edited:
2) Intake/Exhaust - I have read here that rusty is good and bad. It all depends who you talk to. I don't have anything of his. My buddy had some of his stearing components and loves them. Never heard anything about rugged ridge.

3) Lift - I have heard that rough country was well rough. But I don't know I did a bastard pack lift. When I was working on my jeep I talk to a guy that was working on a grand cherokee was putting in RE 3.5" supper-ride. I noticed that the springs were beefy. They had a hard time compressing the springs. Also they gave him the same size arms. But they were upgraded arms to say the least.

4) SYE - Now with the SYE you can go with a SYE drop or SYE. I went with advance adapters they were the cheapest when I was looking. With getting a SYE you can go to the junk yard and get a front drive shaft. Just don't tell the guy behind the parts store that you got two front drive shafts. With a SYE drop you won't need a drive shaft.

Well, if you really want help spending money, PM me and I'll give you my address. Send me your money, and I'll help spend it. :D

An a more serious note:

I wouldn't bother with the intake mods(yet) Stick with the stock air box. If you feel like you just HAVE to, get the full length tube.

My advice: Save any money you want to spend on the engine mods, and put it in a piggy bank to save up for gears. 4.10 gears and 31"s will make more power on the ground then about ANYTHING you do the the engine(including stroking it) and 3.55 gears. (If it wasn't a daily driver, I'd say go to 4.56)

I've heard good and bad about Rustys. (no personal experience) but the exhaust kit looks like a pretty standard cat-back system. Maybe somebody can chime in about fit/finish. You might want to price a bent up system from a local muffler shop. If you're not getting stainless, a local shop can probably beat the price of a pre-bent system.

Rough country has a pretty good rep, but they do have high spring rates. Might want to look at Old Man Emu kits.(they have a GREAT rep)

The SYE,... always fun. the problem is, you won't know if you need it until you lift. Some people report vibration with 2", some people report no problems with 5". The later models(like yours) have a design "improvement" that makes them less tolerant then the early 'cases. Again, you won't know until you drive it with the lift.

Skip the intake, build your own suspension from the JY, get a set of used 33's, trim, find a set of axles off the local jeep forums (sometimes you get lucky and find a built set cheap), wheel the piss out of it. And when the motor dies stroke it.

Parakeet

I did the rustys exhaust with a FM40. I love the sound, and it fit together the second time - had to get a few adapters from NAPA, but it fits well after welding.

Back