• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

York OBA stuff.

I did a ghetto fab plumb job on her for now, and it works nicely. I don't have any more pics at the moment, but I will post them. I have only the bare necessities at the moment. I am also using the original pressure hose from the compressor. I went by the local NAPA (my work place) and picked up two 1/4 pipe street tee's, a reducer coupling from 1/4 to 1/8 for the pressure switch, two automotive type quick couplers, a 25 foot coil hose, a 3/8 barb fitting to 1/4 male pipe, and some teflon tape. I already had a pop off valve.

I do not have a water trap at the moment, but I just was wanting to test this thing anyway. The pop off valve is at the bottom of this mess, so I can use it to drain any water from the system each use. The pressure switch is at the top, and is just behind the compressor so the original clutch wire is long enough.

The result..... I let my 32x11.50 15 down to 9psi. I fired up the heep, turned on the compressor and started filling my tire. I stopped after one minute elapsed. 30psi !!!!

The only drawback right now is I have to open my hood to get to the quick coupler. As stated, this is only temporary, I plan on building some rocker rails from 2x4 rect. tube, and will make them my air tanks. Each side will have a quick coupler on it, so I can simply unhook my hose and take it to the other side. I did the math, and it appears that two rock rails, at 60" long will be just over 4 gallons of air space.

As promised, here are the pics of the plumbing. I have just purchased a water trap/filter that I will be placing between the hose nipple an the first tee. I should be starting on some rock rails soon, and then I will re-plumb it so they are part of the system. Anybody know a good source for a check valve in 1/4" pipe? That will need to be incorporated before I do a lot of tire pumping, especially with the air tanks.
100_0619-1.jpg

100_0618-1.jpg

And one with the upper hose pulled out of the way for a better view.
100_0620-1.jpg

DrSockMonkey said:
Where did you get your pressure switch from? How much was it? Looks Great! This is a project I want to do. I like how you've done it.

Jeremy

I got it through my work. It is a firestone part number 9016. I picked it up for about $25, but you will probably have to pay around $30 for one. I am not sure what other places you could get it from. Possibly some tire shops, or some places that do air bags? I like the switch because it is very compact. Not like the ones I have seen on other setups that look like they are from a 110v shop compressor.

I have already purchased the materials for my rock rails, so the plumbing will change soon. The coupler will be much further, and I won't have to pop the hood to use my air. :D

Last edited:
Yeah I like the size too. What is the pressure rating 150psi?
Love2Ride450 said:
I got it through my work. It is a firestone part number 9016. I picked it up for about $25, but you will probably have to pay around $30 for one. I am not sure what other places you could get it from. Possibly some tire shops, or some places that do air bags? I like the switch because it is very compact. Not like the ones I have seen on other setups that look like they are from a 110v shop compressor.

I have already purchased the materials for my rock rails, so the plumbing will change soon. The coupler will be much further, and I won't have to pop the hood to use my air. :D

The switch is closed at or below 90psi and opens at 120psi. The pop off is for 150psi. I hot wired the clutch (eliminated the pressure switch) to make sure the pop off valve popped off before my hose did. I figgered that would be good to know.

Love2Ride450 said:
The switch is closed at or below 90psi and opens at 120psi. The pop off is for 150psi. I hot wired the clutch (eliminated the pressure switch) to make sure the pop off valve popped off before my hose did. I figgered that would be good to know.
Thanks!

Yeah, I picked up a water seperator/filter since those pics, and have installed it between the first tee and the hose nipple. It is ALL temporary though, since I am building rock rails this weekend (hopefully) and they will be incorporated in the system. I think the pressure switch will be fine where it is though. It is very similar to a oil pressure switch, and they stand up to hot engine oil for years, so..... I think it will be okay. I will hopefully be posting pics soon with the final plumbing.

Well, I'm not really done yet, which is why I haven't posted in a while, but I am almost done, so here are the pics.

From right to left: Unloader check valve, water seperator/filter, cross fitting with pressure switch on top and 150psi pop off on bottom, street tee with quick coupler and hose barb to passenger rock rail, final hose barb to driver side rock rail.
100_0631.jpg

Here is a pic of the underside of the rock rail. The hose comes in on the front side, and the coupler is on the back side where it is hopefully protected from any impact.
100_0632.jpg

DrSockMonkey said:
Me thinks you like blue... Looks good.

Nah, just how it turned out. The blue wire came with my cheapo fog lights, which I used 4 conductor trailer cable for, and the hose, well, it was the cheapest hose I could find at work. It is the vinyl kind, so it doesn't flex well, which actually works nicely for this application.

Back