• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ2 4.0 to XJ1 4.0 swap

JimLahey

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone done a complete swap of 2000 4.0 to older cherokee? I have a 2000 xj with 4.0l. I love the way it runs. I want to swap this 4.0l in my 1988 cherokee with no rust. Both are automatic and both have the 4.0l.

I will swap both engines and transmissions/xfer cases. I know I need a lot more, practically everything.

Is there a write up of the being done somewhere here?

Thanks.

Been done plenty of times. Just look for a 97+ OBDII conversion. It's not a bolt and go affair just FYI. You need to completely swap the harness and all. Other option is doing a HO conversion and leave the renix. That's what I'm doing on my MJ.

I disagree on swapping the whole wiring. The two paths are to adapt the RNIX TB to the HO intake manifold, or wire the HO TPS to the RENIX wiring. I think HESCO might sell something for this.

If you want obdII you need to rewire it. If not yes you can adapt the tps.

Any posts out there of what components need to be moved over, locations? Can I keep the old XJ gauges/dash? Are all the components engine compartment related? Are there things like fuse block or some hidden box behind dash that needs to be moved over?

Your going to need everything including the flex plate. What I can't help you with is the mounting points of all the accessories, that might be a issue.

I miss read the OP's question. Actually, I plan the same swap. There are some things I like about the 2000 Federal wiring. I think there is a build on this at the Comanche Club board. I'll see if I can find it. There is an aluminum part that the steering column bolts to in the 97-01 body. As I remember the guy did some cutting. I want to see if I can get around that.

Edit: I think this is the thread I remembered:
https://comancheclub.com/topic/32740-alexias-1987-to-1997-comanche/page/5/#comments

Last edited:
I miss read the OP's question. Actually, I plan the same swap. There are some things I like about the 2000 Federal wiring. I think there is a build on this at the Comanche Club board. I'll see if I can find it. There is an aluminum part that the steering column bolts to in the 97-01 body. As I remember the guy did some cutting. I want to see if I can get around that.

Edit: I think this is the thread I remembered:
https://comancheclub.com/topic/32740-alexias-1987-to-1997-comanche/page/5/#comments

I have no idea what your talking about, there is nothing forward of the firewall.

OP, if your trying to use the 2000 PCM then your in for a tremendous challenge. The electrics are totally different.

I have no idea what your talking about, there is nothing forward of the firewall.

OP, if your trying to use the 2000 PCM then your in for a tremendous challenge. The electrics are totally different.

Not sure what 'no difference'. There is a difference with the plug in from the 99 to the 2000 Alternator. The wiring is a bit different. He is planning from '88 Renix to 2000. So, a lot of differences. The location of the Washer bottle and Radiator Overflow. Yes, a lot of work. Check the build I posted the link to.

Back