• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

$$ looking to upgrade ignition

POSrenix

NAXJA Forum User
Recently my jeep developed a start then die problem i rebuilt a 2000 up grand Cherokee motor and swapped into my XJ also swap the Peugeot trans and swapped both axles have the older HO head im looking for input for possible factory upgrade or aftermarket for the ECM ignition fuel ect. as the original wire harness has so many splices in it that i dont feel its reliable and would like to swap whole thing i already have the 99 up intake so im wondering if would be worth it to upgrade to factory plug on wire or is there aftermarket option that would be better. my goal is to make this reliable as this truck has left me stranded to many times to count luckily no where i couldnt easily be towed home from

Swapping in OBD-I would be pretty simple with junkyard parts. Fuel injection like the CJ Jeeps install is possible. OBD-II would be a very complicated.

Do you have to have smog inspection and CARB compliance ?

i live in Cali so yes i will have to smog its currently running the Renix set up but its failed me quite a few times i would like to clean up the wireing and simplify where ever possible ive been told the 2000 and later Plug on coil is pretty reliable but i have no experience with it

by clean up the wire i mean replace as much as possible as i think every bulk head is connected via butt connecters and wire nuts from previous owner

If you try to alter the system you will have to get it approved through a referee. That right there could be a deal killer.

First step should be to meet with your referee and find out what is/is not acceptable to them. They will generally allow you to modify a vehicle to meet newer standards. Stepping up from Renix to OBD I or OBDII would probably be acceptable to them, but you need to find out just how far they would require you to go in that conversion. You need to find out exactly what parts you would need to change beyond the wiring and the computer. For instance, if you went to OBDII you would probably have to also add the special exhaust manifold with the pre-cats and get a CARB approved OBDII catalytic converter. I don't know what those components currently cost, but it would not surprise me if the exhaust alone would cost you $1,000. And that is just the exhaust system. The fuel system might require that you change out your fuel tank so you could run the late model fuel pump. That might also require changing out your fuel rail since you probably have the fuel pressure regulator on the rail and the late models had it in the tank. And of course, since Renix does not have a "Check Engine Light" you would need to make that change to your dash.

Those are just examples of what you are probably facing. But I am not a referee. Their word is what matters here. Get the requirements from them and you will know what you are actually facing.

I'd keep RENIX, it's honestly a simple system and the jump to OBD doesn't prove a lot. If you need to "read codes" Nickintimes make s REM unit that does just that.

To start I'd Follow cruiser54 tips and make sure you have the basics in order.

There is also the option of swapping in a HO head to a RENIX. Compared to a full OBD swap it's easy.

California is bad on modifying cars , if you change it to a OBD II system it will need to go to a referee and get checked and it better be all OBD II or it will not pass . You should keep it OBD I and if you change anything to make it better you need to hide it or it needs to have a California ARB number . There is still a lot you can do to make it run better .

I wonder if any aftermarket ignition controllers like MSD digital or 7AL or anything like that is legal in Cali, WE don't have emissions testing or regulations in my state so I don't know. But I do know that a performance based controller will help with stock ignition to burn the fuel better and increase dependability. May have to check your regulations and see what your options are.

Im having no trouble running the renix and it's stock ignition I did get rid of the coolant system for a radiator with a cap. To me that was worth while investment. My radiator was leaking so it was a no brainer

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Fix your problematic wire harness before you go creating new problems. The xj era ignition systems work just fine. Throwing different ignition parts on it will only frustrate you more.

It’s hard to make an older jeep reliable. Good luck.

Awesome this is why ask so general consensus is stick with the OE system is there any where to get a replacement wire harness i tried to find one in JY all are same condition as mine

Awesome this is why ask so general consensus is stick with the OE system is there any where to get a replacement wire harness i tried to find one in JY all are same condition as mine

You must be out of your mind, I couldn't even purchase one for my 2000 four years ago!

The only way to do it right is to pull the harness and resolder all the connectors. You can also do the c101 delete when you're in there.

With 42 yr old wiring that's dry/cracked/brittle, you should replace it with new wiring.

It might be a good idea to get a harness with decent connectors out of a JY, and deal with all the wire replacement/resoldering on the bench - keeps your XJ running until the harness is , particularly if it's your only vehicle.

Back