• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ wouldn't idle yesterday, seems fine today?

inv3ctiv3

NAXJA Forum User
So yesterday driving on my lunch break I noticed the "CHECK GAUGES" light on and when I stopped and turned it back on it was off...Fast forward to the end of the day I stopped at the store and when I went back and started the XJ it just died....Hmmm so I started it again and gave it some gas and it would run but if I let off the gas it would just die kinda like a vacuum leak so I limped it home and by the time it got home it seemed to idle ok but a little low. I popped the hood and wiggled the intake hose and inspected other things and it didn't stumble or do anything funny like if the intake boot was ripped so I thought nothing of it and this morning it started up fine and runs great....

I'm just concerned this is going to happen again at a much less convenient time so I rather get it taken care of now, have you guys heard of anything like this? Any sensors I I should replace or anything like that?

:cheers:

2001 XJ
140k miles
No mods other than spartan front diff locker

Last edited:
The battery terminal wires are corroded but I got one of those kits from a member on here with upgraded wires and everything just haven't installed it....Maybe I'll look into an alternator too?

How about doing some tests?

1. Have your battery load tested with a carbon-pile tester: 1/2 CCA rating for 15 seconds and not drop below 10 volts.

2. Using your XJ mandatory multimeter check the voltage with the engine running and between the battery terminals--should be 13.5 to 15.5 volts.

How about doing some tests?

1. Have your battery load tested with a carbon-pile tester: 1/2 CCA rating for 15 seconds and not drop below 10 volts.

2. Using your XJ mandatory multimeter check the voltage with the engine running and between the battery terminals--should be 13.5 to 15.5 volts.

Ok cool I'll do those checks and I bought a new 4AWG battery cable kit from Kelly Swip I just haven't installed it yet....I want a really good battery I can trust on the trail and at 140k I just kinda figured it may need an alternator but not sure which OEM is the best since there are sooooooo many.

Well, depending on the customer's time frame we usually have starters and alternators rebuilt by a local shop that gives us a 24 hour or less turn around time. If it has to go sooner then NAPA reman.

Back