• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ with no Doors Illegal???

from http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/11/11.14.02.17.htm

(1) Doors or door parts are missing, broken, or sagging so that the door cannot be tightly closed.

this is for state inspections, they probaly would only give you a fix it ticket for it but that doesn't mean they won't find a reason to fine you. same as if they can't see you front plate cause its in the windsheld, usually its just a fix it ticket but can include a fine of $50

Last edited:
erp467 said:

(1) Doors or door parts are missing, broken, or sagging so that the door cannot be tightly closed.

Well bravo, at least one guy actually looked up the law.

All this "My buddy told me" "A cop told me" "I heard one time" "I did it without getting busted" bullshit is worthless.

If you want to bend the rules, you need to take the time to actually learn the rules.

Robert

Robert 771 said:

All this "My buddy told me" "A cop told me" "I heard one time" "I did it without getting busted" bullshit is worthless.

If you want to bend the rules, you need to take the time to actually learn the rules.

Robert
He didnt look up Texas law though. The OP is from Texas.

Ray H said:
He didnt look up Texas law though. The OP is from Texas.

Yeah, and I looked up Ohio law.

My point was that the OP (and everyone else) is responsible for his own compliance. I'm not willing to research all 50 states' laws, and I wouldn't expect anyone to take my word for it if I did.

That kind of he-said, she-said, a-cop-told-me, or I-read-on-the-internet don't mean squat.

You've got to learn the law for yourself.

Robert

Robert 771 said:

Hey - not only did I look it up, I fought the law, and I won. :D

Kind of.

You're right though, all the information in this thread is worthless unless you take the time to research your own situation with legitimate sources.

Nothing in the Maryland laws specifically states that doors cannot be removed. Under the used vehicle inspection section, it does mention something about door handles, but it shouldn't matter if they are functioning if they aren't even on the vehicle :D

It does, however, say that the side rails or either bumper cannot be above a height of 20 inches. Pretty sure my 3" lifted jeep is over 20" off the ground.

looking up the laws is probably good, but if you dont drive like a dick you will be better off. Try to prove that you are right and you will get a ticket for something, drive like an asshole and you grab the initial attention. but if you drive responsibly and are curious and polite then no ticket for you. Chances are that the cop has never looked it up or had to so he is going to be unsure anyway.

:cheers: this thread wasn't about bead locks but the answer to the bead lock question is that most bead locks aren't U.S D.O.T. approved-therefore illeagal. just like most h4 headlight conversions etc. I've never heard of anyone here in Wa. state being ticketed but they are technicaly illeagal if your state requires all parts to be D.O.T. approved. back in the 70s I remember guys drilling holes in their rims & using sheet metal screws to lock them like the old time drag racers. now days there are so many guys running fake beadlocks they would have to pull you over for some other reason first. also city type cops tend to be a lot more c.s. about this stuff than rural cops.

one thing to note about doorless (i know this thread isnt focused on the technicalities of going doorless, but hte legal aspects, but whatever...) is that (at least on 97+) the hinge holes on the body have a LARGER bore than the hinge holes on the doors. This will make it so that no matter what size bolt you use, they WILL still sag. The solution is to bore out the door hinge holes a little bit so theyre hte same size as the body hinge holes, then get appropriate sized bolts, or cotter pins or quick pins or whatever you chose...

erp467 said:

Kudos for actually looking up the Trafic Code for your locale. Too bad it took until Post #62 for someone to do it...as was stated several times, all this "I heard" and "a friend of mine was told" BS is just crap. Actually posting a link to the statute indicates you've taken the time to look for the answer yourself instead of hoping the random cop you've spoken to knows the law.

When I have any question about traffic-related offenses and need an explanation of the Colorado Revised Statute, I ask one of my Traffic Deputies, especially the ones who are former State Troopers (they have a history of inspecting vehicles). The Traffic folks are far more well-versed on Title 42 (Vehicles and Traffic) than the Patrol guys. The Patrol guys are more well-versed in other aspects of the statutes though...

erp467 said:
and this is how i bent the law. there are doors so most cops don't want to seem to hassle wth it

Yeah, but you're forgetting the part about putting those youngsters in approved car seats!
happyfinger.gif

Robert 771 said:
Yeah, and I looked up Ohio law.

My point was that the OP (and everyone else) is responsible for his own compliance. I'm not willing to research all 50 states' laws, and I wouldn't expect anyone to take my word for it if I did.

That kind of he-said, she-said, a-cop-told-me, or I-read-on-the-internet don't mean squat.

You've got to learn the law for yourself.

Robert
x eleventy-brazilian.

cherokee chuck said:
:cheers: this thread wasn't about bead locks but the answer to the bead lock question is that most bead locks aren't U.S D.O.T. approved-therefore illeagal.
bsflag.gif
That's exactly why Scott at Rockstomper and others are offering a monetary reward to anyone who actually has been ticketed and had that ticket upheld for running beadlocks. It's been years and nobody has collected. You know why? Because it's not illegal.

Did you know that even if the state Statute allows it, local (County, parish, city or township) ordinances may prohibit something? Yeah...that's why driving through Denver is a pain in the butt for some folks.

Did you know that there is a Colorado Revised Statute prohibiting nearly any modification of your vehicle suspension from stock? yup, it's under C.R.S. 42-4-233:
(1) No person shall operate a motor vehicle of a type required to be registered under the laws of this state upon a public highway with either the rear or front suspension system altered or changed from the manufacturer's original design except in accordance with specifications permitting such alteration established by the department. Nothing contained in this section shall prevent the installation of manufactured heavy duty equipment to include shock absorbers and overload springs, nor shall anything contained in this section prevent a person from operating a motor vehicle on a public highway with normal wear of the suspension system if normal wear shall not affect the control of the vehicle.

...but if there's no penalty associated, it's not illegal. The section above actually did have an associated penalty (Class 2 Misdemeanor Traffic Offense) so at one time it was illegal in the State of Colorado to lift, lower, or modify your suspension. It's still on the books, with a disclaimer Source: L. 94: Entire title amended with relocations, p. 2267, § 1, effective January 1, 1995. because it was deemed unconstitutional: This section's flat prohibition against any motor vehicle suspension system alteration, except the installation of heavy duty shock absorbers or springs, is unconstitutionally overbroad. People v. Von Tersch, 180 Colo. 295, 505 P.2d 5 (1973) (decided prior to 1975 amendment).

My point? Learn the friggin' laws of the state YOU live in. Learn them, and don't just assume that what you heard from your buddy or the random cop on the street is correct.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Yucca-Man said:
Yeah, but you're forgetting the part about putting those youngsters in approved car seats!
happyfinger.gif

don't worry there n the back. as far as it being illegal not there is not penelty for it but there is for unsafe equpment and if they dont lke it and there having a bad day i would bet they wll try to find something else to get you on

cherokee chuck said:
:cheers: this thread wasn't about bead locks but the answer to the bead lock question is that most bead locks aren't U.S D.O.T. approved-therefore illeagal. just like most h4 headlight conversions etc. I've never heard of anyone here in Wa. state being ticketed but they are technicaly illeagal if your state requires all parts to be D.O.T. approved. back in the 70s I remember guys drilling holes in their rims & using sheet metal screws to lock them like the old time drag racers. now days there are so many guys running fake beadlocks they would have to pull you over for some other reason first. also city type cops tend to be a lot more c.s. about this stuff than rural cops.
My thoughts as well. There are only a few DOT approved bead locks out there. And running tires or rims or lights on your vehicle that are not DOT approved is ILLEGAL. If you don't think running non DOT approved things like wheels is illegal, roll up to a cop with some true drag slicks, not street legal drag radials, and see what happens. Beadlocks that aren't DOT approved are illegal on the street and unsafe to say the least.

Last edited:
slipslap said:
My thoughts as well. There are only a few DOT approved bead locks out there. And running tires or rims or lights on your vehicle that are not DOT approved is ILLEGAL. If you don't think running non DOT approved things like wheels is illegal, roll up to a cop with some true drag slicks, not street legal drag radials, and see what happens. Beadlocks that aren't DOT approved are illegal on the street and unsafe to say the least.
Most "dangerous illegal beadlocks" are DIY beadlock kits put onto DOT approved wheels. So it still has the DOT stamp.

Non-DOT approved means its not approved for use on the street but beadlocks are only dangerous if there cheap cobbled together things done by someone who doesn't know what he's doing, or not maintained - just like anything we do to our XJs.

i had a 4x4 toyota pickup. drove around with no doors OR mirrors(had rear view one)
no cop bothered me.
asked a cop if its legal(older cop) he said "jeeps do it and its fine, why not"

Back