• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ with no Doors Illegal???

fubar XJ said:
They really look terrible with no doors. Some of the half-door setups I've seen look pretty good (not the ones in this thread that look like he torch-cut a couple slabs of 3/16" plate and left the ragged edge for the purpose of infencting your forearm with tetanus)

But just naked, no doors? Just looks weird.

I disagree. I've had a few random Jeep guys tell me it looks great and I love the feeling of driving with the doors off. Hopping in and out is so easy. I have a convertible for my other car, so I feel a little claustrophobic in the XJ. Taking the doors off solves the problem. Now I just have to decide if its worth it to take the rear doors off for the complete look.

wicked_xj said:
not pretty but functional i love them cops cant pull me over

Don't be too sure about that.

What they CAN get you for, is modifying the vehicle such that it no longer meets the NHTSA safety standards for its year of production. This falls under the blanket 'unsafe vehicle' ticket, reason being that you've removed equipment involved in meeting the side impact standards in place when it was made.

So, while there's no law on the books in NJ that specifically says no doors (and you won't find it in Title 39 either; you'd want to reference the NJAC for any of that information), there's at least one way to bust your balls for it.

This is why, somewhere in the archives of the Aberdeen, NJ courthouse, there's a file with my name on it that has a printout of the tube doors I made, along with a bunch of numbers and measurements that prove them equivalent to the OEM doors in the region that they hit for side impact testing in 1994. It also has a 100+ page printout of the NHTSA testing procedures used, and a bunch of other documents that looked impressive but weren't really relevant. :paperwork

Is it right, or necessarily accurate? Probably not...but it was enough for the judge to look at for 3 seconds and decide it wasn't worth pursuing. :looney:

You can find some interesting things in the NJAC if you look hard enough. That's why I've got most of the vehicle-related parts printed out in a binder at home. :D

fubar XJ said:
They really look terrible with no doors. Some of the half-door setups I've seen look pretty good (not the ones in this thread that look like he torch-cut a couple slabs of 3/16" plate and left the ragged edge for the purpose of infencting your forearm with tetanus)

But just naked, no doors? Just looks weird.

x2, they look goofy with no doors and theres nowhere to rest your arm....to each his own I guess :dunno:

erp467 said:
from what i have heard in Pa wranglers must have doors on anytime they are on the road.

Not true sir. I don't know the particulars pertaining to modifying the hinges, but I do know doorless wranglers are 100% legal here. Mirrors are the key.

I've actually seen a couple riding with the winshield down.:eek:

Prosonic said:
Not true sir. I don't know the particulars pertaining to modifying the hinges, but I do know doorless wranglers are 100% legal here. Mirrors are the key.

I've actually seen a couple riding with the winshield down.:eek:

Might still be okay providing you have glasses on for eye protection, like on a motorcycle in states without helmet laws.

When I first took my doors off last summer I was at the gas staion by the house and there were a couple county mounties inside and they were BSin with me about not having doors. So I figured this was the perfect chance to ask 'em and they said there was nothin they could do! So No Doors in MO is OK!

I recently made these and have them posted in the So Cal forum.

Post there ---> http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=956796

I still need to paint and pad the passenger side, but you can see how the drivers side turned out.

I borrowed a friends camera just now and the date on his camera is wrong, so ignore the water marked date.
normal_sa500090.jpg

normal_sa500091.jpg

normal_sa500092.jpg

normal_sa500093.jpg

normal_sa500094.jpg

normal_sa500095.jpg

normal_sa500096.jpg

normal_sa500097.jpg

The tube doors look good I have to make a set for the trails, Jagged rocks and ribs not a good combo. I'm in NY took off the fronts about a month ago for the first time put on a DS mirror and managed to find a cop for every branch in my town none of them even looked twice so I'm going with its ok here.

wicked_xj said:
yes and no i made these with new mirrors
Picture081.jpg

Picture082.jpg

I don't think those would be very comfortablt to rest your arm on. Those are CUSTOM

Well here in assachusetts the DMV says that all you need to pass inspection is 2 out of 3 of the mirrors that come with the vehicle... Soo no doors is not an issue here, nor in the state of NH also.. Been doorless since early march a little chilly and wet at times but... It's cool right?!?! :)

I solved this by bending steel to fit the contour of the doorframe, put one bar across and made a latch. Viola, a door. got stopped once, cop got out looked at the truck and said "damn, it does have doors, carry on?

it feels like no doors, with the added benifit of technically having doors. they look like the posted pictures above, with no doors.

fubar XJ said:
Might still be okay providing you have glasses on for eye protection, like on a motorcycle in states without helmet laws.

Actually I think you're right. PA just passed a no helmet law a couple years ago. Makes sense.

Starboard M said:
I want to know as well. I have never actually heard or someone getting a ticket for beadlocks.

apparently there is some dude that will pay you 50k if you can prove beadlocks are illegal, so if your buddy got a ticket, he's in for a HUGE Payday.

I used to be a wrangler jockey and have lived in CA CO FL MA CT NY, as long as you have side mirrors in those states they could care less about your doors , now if you should put the windshield down, make sure EVERYONE is wearing glasses.......................or it could get expensive :scottm:

doug

H8PVMT said:
apparently there is some dude that will pay you 50k if you can prove beadlocks are illegal, so if your buddy got a ticket, he's in for a HUGE Payday.

I used to be a wrangler jockey and have lived in CA CO FL MA CT NY, as long as you have side mirrors in those states they could care less about your doors , now if you should put the windshield down, make sure EVERYONE is wearing glasses.......................or it could get expensive :scottm:

doug
Im pretty sure Scott at Rockstomper has a $50 reward. I have never seen the $50,000 one.

If there is, Ill be at my congressman's office in the morning to try and change the law!

Back