• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj steering

Last I checked, the track bar was a fairly important part of the steering system. But it may have changed since I checked last. :laugh3:

Try unbolting your track bar and then driving around the block. The track bar is what all of your steering works around.

Better yet.... Don't try that....:explosion

Last I checked, the track bar was a fairly important part of the steering system. But it may have changed since I checked last. :laugh3:

Try unbolting your track bar and then driving around the block. The track bar is what all of your steering works around.

EDIT: I was kidding. Dont do that
Its an important part of the parrallel 4 link. Not really the steering per say. It keeps the axle centered under the vehicle. So last time you checked it appears you were wrong. Remember triangulated 4 links don't have panhards.

Its an important part of the parrallel 4 link. Not really the steering per say. It keeps the axle centered under the vehicle. So last time you checked it appears you were wrong. Remember triangulated 4 links don't have panhards.

Ha

I challenge you (just like the last guy) to unbolt/remove your track bar, drive around the block, and then come back and tell me that a track bar is not a important part of the steering system.

Correct, triangulated 4 links center themselves... but that doesn't apply to us.

Dont actually do that. You would be surprised by how many people would actually try that haha

Would you call the track bar on the rear suspension of a TJ a steering component?

:roflmao:
Would you call the rear axle out of the TJ a steering axle? :twak:

Screw trying to drive around the block without a track bar, try driving out of your driveway without one. Good luck, and remember to look both ways before driving across the street and into your neighbor's driveway.

Again part of the 4 link not the actual steering. It would be like saying the lower control arms are part of the steering.

2 upper control arms, 2 lower control arms, and a trackbar, thats 5 points where it connects to the body. So its a 5 link........:conceited

2 upper control arms, 2 lower control arms, and a trackbar, thats 5 points where it connects to the body. So its a 5 link........:conceited
I hope you're trolling here because this is incorrect. The track bar is generally not counted in the link total.

How much does alignment cost where you are. Is 70 too high? Any one else in Carson City nv with a suggestion for alignment?

do it yourself - simple as pie on these vehicles. Castor and toe are the only things you can/need to adjust, and castor is controlled by the control arms and doesn't really change. Doesn't make sense to pay a shop to just check your toe.

Measure the front wheels at the front and back. I set my front distance to be about 1/8" less than the rear distance. This is adjustable by turning the adjuster barrel on your tie rod.

If your steering is off center, just turn the adjuster on the drag link whichever way it needs to go.

Sweet link:
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm

I hope you're trolling here because this is incorrect. The track bar is generally not counted in the link total.

but unless there's triangulation, it is a critical link, even if it's not counted in the total.

Tis true, many people refer to 4 links (4 lowers w/panhard) as a 5 link setup, and 3 links (2 lowers, 1 upper, and panhard) as a 4 link setup.

How much does alignment cost where you are. Is 70 too high? Any one else in Carson City nv with a suggestion for alignment?

When I was young(er) and dumb(er), I paid $50 for one. I wish I just did it myself.

I'm having a pretty good wobble at 40 and 60 and i'm having a hard time finding the problem. I think i have it aligned correctly i'm just not sure. I thought yesterday the loose track bar bracket was the problem but fixed that and still wobbling? Just trying to figure it out.

If the control arms and the trac bar/panhard rod are part of the steering, what do the suspension consist of?

unicorn farts and rainbow kisses

Back