• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj steering

sounds to me like the hub unit bearing might be bad. jack the axle up on the side you think is wobling so you have only one tire off the ground, then grab the tire top and bottom and try and wiggle it , if it moves most likely hub unit bearing bad, try it left and right as well , if it moves thisway but not up and down it eigther ball joints or TRE's have another person watch for you if it moves left and right to be sure, they'll be able to see it move

Rig looks good

I will try that tomorrow.

I sort of have a love/hate right now with my jeep. Seems like every time i "fix" one thing something else is bad. I don't know if it is the jeep or me.

Learning lots.

Don't invest into more stock parts, just go with Currie and be done with it. It's beef and keeps the factory setup. Fully bolt in. Worth every penny.

Just fyi the currie bends too. If you are going to drop money order the dom and 1ton TRE's to build your own. Otherwise I am still beating on my free ZJ tie rod and haven't bent it.

Just fyi the currie bends too. If you are going to drop money order the dom and 1ton TRE's to build your own. Otherwise I am still beating on my free ZJ tie rod and haven't bent it.

Every steering setup will bend if you hit it hard enough. It's just that they are stronger than the stock parts and the currie system is HUGE compared to the toothpick sized stuff I had on before. I could bend the stock tie rod with my hands...that's how worthless it is.

Every steering setup will bend if you hit it hard enough. It's just that they are stronger than the stock parts and the currie system is HUGE compared to the toothpick sized stuff I had on before. I could bend the stock tie rod with my hands...that's how worthless it is.
I did bend the stock one with my hands to get it straight again to drive it home. The ZJ one is a good bit beefier and holds pretty well. No point in the money for the currie from guys I know running it.

Is there an autozone part number for the track bar bushings?

Thank you,

Nate

Axle side?
Energy Suspension Part Number: 2.7102

wait...do you have an adjustable already? If so the bushings are probably not stock sized - contact the manufacturer for replacement bushings/rod ends

Regards tire wobble...seems you're replacing a lot of expensive parts without really knowing if they're the culprit. First, get tires balanced and get a professional alignment. Then, if you still have wobble, start looking at the more expensive stuff.

I replaced the tierod that I bent and the bald tires, but you are very right. I need to slow down and identify before i just replace. The track bar drop bracket was moving about a 1/4 inch with each turn of the wheel(so i fixed that), and it looks like there is play in the bushings. i was hoping that was a quick cheap fix (not you need to replace the hole thing).

I took it to a local shop and they said the tierod at the pitman arm was bad and the driver ujoint was bad so i replaced those too.

I did headers when I had the exhaust manifold off, spark plugs, and injectors. The PCM quit working so i had to replace that.

Thank you.

rustys cannot control the quality of the tie rods as they are manufactured by others. so basically all he is providing is tubing.

Welllll they could always have switched to someone elses TRE's after many of theirs failed and put people in danger, like this guy.

I dont see where it states that it was a rustys brand tie rod no have i ever heard of such a thing but parts do fail. ive seen currie tie rods break off. PLUS that video is a broken TRACK BAR! not steering!!!

Last edited:
I dont see where it states that it was a rustys brand tie rod no have i ever heard of such a thing but parts do fail. ive seen currie tie rods break off. PLUS that video is a broken TRACK BAR! not steering!!!

Thats not the full video, the full one starts with a cop pushing it off the road with is car, kinda cool. Anyways the guy with the camera walks to the front and shows the snapped tre on the trackbar, you can clearley see the rustys sticker and notice that its his end. After watching this video I moded my rustys track bar to a ruff stuff heim.

I have also had my buddys rustys track bar end snapp on him on the trail, luckley we were able to thread it in enough with the jam nut off to get it off the trail.

Edit: I see you were talking about steering not track bar, but still rustys track bar ends are sketchy! IDk about his steering

Last edited:

Last I checked, the track bar was a fairly important part of the steering system. But it may have changed since I checked last. :laugh3:

Try unbolting your track bar and then driving around the block. The track bar is what all of your steering works around.

EDIT: I was kidding. Dont do that

Last edited:
Back