• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ steering issue

WickedXJ93

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 93 XJ with 6-10" of lift (about 8-10" rear 6-8" up front.) Also only on 32s for now. My problem is that from a stop and going slow the power steering will not turn left. I do not have a drop pitman but was told that if I could turn one way this was not an issue. When trying to turn left the pump screams like cheubacca but I did just replace the lines and pump itself. My friend who owns a shop in town told me to check the tie-rod ends and the ball joints. I have yet to check the ball joints but I can rotate the tie-rod and steering linkage at the steering damper, about 30 degrees forward and back. What should I look for/replace? I have already spent over $200 on this issuse and it just keeps adding up :bawl:so tests to know what is broken would be REALLY helpful.

1st, why so much lift? theres no reason for it in new england, lower it a bit, your stock steering is at its limit time to upgrade

Sounds like the steering wheel isn't centered....badly. How many turns of the wheel do you have each way before the knuckles hit the stops? Do the knuckles hit the stops close to the same time that the throw of the steering box hits the end?

With that much lift and stock steering the drag link needs to be lengthened enough for the steering box/wheel to be centered so you have the same amount of steering movement in both directions.

The steering wheel is centered and the amount of turn left and right is the same as I can turn it some of the time or if I force it. It also is perfectly fine on the road. Only seems to bind turning left mildly going under 30mph but simple forcing it loosens up this binding. And feels completely normal (although a very wandery) above 30 or 40mph.

Unless there's some physical binding, you probably need a new gear box. Lift the front wheels off the ground, disconnect the drag link from the pitman arm, then try turning the steering wheel at low RPM. If the steering still binds up you can eliminate physical binding, and the gear box is the only thing in the P/S side that would react different left vs right (the pump pumps the same regardless).

Last edited:
when I put a jack under the front axle it turned just fine so that would not be the issue. There is also a metallic clinking noise when turning left coming from the wheel area.

If we assume the steering is properly centered, and that you've checked thoroughly and nothing is binding, then you need a new steering box.

After that, you need to lower the lift height and/or install a new OTK steering system.

Back