• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj rear bumper blue prints/ plans

youre-youre-crazy-man-frank-the-tank-demotivational-poster-1219152399.jpg

I just noticed this thread and have not been on the forum in a while. I have to say I laughed my ass off on this thread. That bumper looks like an anchor. When you drop off a rock that thing will act like a wedge and when someone pulls you out the welds will probably break and the bumper will become a grenade.

I agree on the hitch. I would skin the whole thing with 1/4", but then weight will start to be your enemy. Especially with a spare. Reinforce the 1/4's for sure.
Some times, trying to do it cheap is not the best thing to do. I give you credit, most others would just buy new. Sometimes you just have to jump in. Next time you will learn from what you did the times before.

Why worry about weight? Its not a JS rig, who cares what it weighs.

Weight matters everywhere but the mall, dude. :D

As for your hitch, cut it apart, flip it over, and put it back together.

Like this:

Black07.jpg

Robert

wrench monkey, that hitch idea is pretty sweet. that may be a project for another day.

i just have to say this WHAT IS WITH ALL THE HATERS?!?!?!!? chris420.... instead of bombing on my project, why dont you make a suggestion on how you would improve upon it. and you must also just be too ignorant to read the rest of my posts so you would know that IT IS NOT FINISHED. those are tack welds you fXXX.

Last edited:
i am inclined to agree with you flexdxj, and besides, XJ's are very light in the rear anyway, a little extra weight over the rear tires couldnt do anything but help

during the last couple of days i have been fabricating a new rear bumper for my 92. i noticed that there were virtually no plans with measurements and materials anywhere on the net. SOOOO...... i have decided that i am going to release all of my material lists, measurements, notes, advice.. etc so anyone who likes the bumper i made can do so themselves. the blueprints should be up in 24 hours or so. get ready cause this thing is DOPE

where are the blue prints? 24 hrs has past

does dope mean good or bad, sorry i must be a bit older then you. in my day, the word used was "bad", which meant good.

next time, i think you should build the bumper first, before you make your first post.

sorry, but this thread turned into "what not to do when making a bumper".

dope means awesome. blueprints in 24 hours may have been a bit presumptuous. and i agree, i should have waited till completion. but i had alot of coffee one day when i got this idea and doing it this way seemed like a good idea at the time. in retrospect, i was sorely mistaken. so for future reference, dont make decisions whilst hopped up on caffeine

but nonetheless, it will be finished soon and i will have blueprints available for all non haters who would like to tackle a rear bumper and use my plans for reference

Weight matters everywhere but the mall, dude. :D

As for your hitch, cut it apart, flip it over, and put it back together.

Robert

Hijack: More on this. I've seen one other post on naxja where somebody flipped their hitch. I'd like to look into doing this and just building a bumper with some 2x6 laying flat on it. Anybody done it?

beastmode: you need a thicker skin dude, this is the internet. activate beast mode. some people dont like your bumper. but tons of people HAVE made suggestions. if you really like your design, polish it up a bit and run it. XXXX the haters...

you should have waited to post your pictures, it's still not done. but your pics are weeks old. get to work XXXXer =)

Looks just like mine, I dig it. It's got the whole tube wrap-around thing goin' on.
:dunno:
103_1090.jpg

not "just alike".... yours is bad a** though

Hijack: More on this. I've seen one other post on naxja where somebody flipped their hitch. I'd like to look into doing this and just building a bumper with some 2x6 laying flat on it. Anybody done it?

Sure it wan't mine? I post around, and I love to show off my junk.

And I haven't seen any others.

At any rate, I think adding 2x6 above the crossbar would be gross overkill. That little 2x2 tube is seriously stout.

If I wanted more of a "real" bumper, I'd just add sides to it, to bring it to the full width of the rig.

Robert

dope means awesome. blueprints in 24 hours may have been a bit presumptuous. and i agree, i should have waited till completion. but i had alot of coffee one day when i got this idea and doing it this way seemed like a good idea at the time. in retrospect, i was sorely mistaken. so for future reference, dont make decisions whilst hopped up on caffeine

As already stated,plans for an awsome bumper are always welcome.But that POS is "Not Worthy" of anyones time!

someone pulls you out the welds will probably break and the bumper will become a grenade.
bumpers blow up when not built properly? :wow:
sure it was the coffee? maybe it was all that dope you promised. i think you smoked it all and stiffed your customers. bad dope dealer... peeps get shot over that.
but nonetheless, it will be finished soon and i will have blueprints available for all non haters who would like to tackle a rear bumper and use my plans for reference
haha, take that last quote light hearted bro. its meant to be in humors taste. on a serious note:

there are many, MANY, ways to mount a bumper. stock mounting, frame tie ins, through the frame rails. it depends on what you intend to use it for. so if it works for your use, run it.

i only have one pet peve about a bumper, and thats receiver hitches... i dont tow from the front, i have no use for a hitch in the front. i need tow points, that what ive got hooks/shackles for. and properly run down the frame as well. the back... whats the point of mounting a bumper to the stock mounting location and putting D rings or a receiver on it? i do all my rear pulling from my hitch. if its got a receiver, why not tie it into the nut strip? :dunno: and how are D rings going to hold if the bumper cant tow? i dont think towing has ever put as much stress on my hitch as wheeling has.

idk... im ranting. people will disagree. its the internet. drink beer. god bless america.

I took one of them cheapo valley universal 3 piece hitch and flipped the middle part, it took some notching of the stock bumper to make it fit, but fit it did. I towed lots with it with no problems. no pics sorry.

I would like to say a few things. In an earlier post on this thread I critisized the bumper that 92XJBEASTMODE is building. I still agree with my comments however I have built a rear bumper for my XJ and I made a few mistakes building it. I used .120 wall square tubing on the swing out carier and it flexed a bit so I new I had to do something to fix it. I tried bracing it with other steel but applied to much heat and I heard a loud pop. The pop that I heard was the steel bending from the heat and now the swing out gate is tweeked and I need to build a new one. I purchased some 3/16" 2x2 tube yesterday and I have next week off so I should be able to finish it. I also plan on incorporating the factory front tow hooks on the rear bumper as well. So next week I will post some picks of the rebuild and the old swing out gate. Everyone makes mistakes and we learn from them. I have seen a lot of fantastic ideas on this form that have helped me with my projects and that is why I am a member. Have nice Momorial Day weekend.

Back