• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj rear bumper blue prints/ plans

hahaha thanks, well that way, i can receive some input as i go. unfortunately the interwebs dont exactly do it justice at this point. it looks pretty sweet already and its only like 25% done

Here, I finished it for you.

bumperprojection.jpg

You can avoid it causing problems by bracing inside behind the tail lights a bit more.

I just cut into that area while replacing all sorts of rusted out metal in the back of my 96 - the stock method is "throw some stamped 20ga on it and spotweld that shit down haphazardly! it'll hold!" and does in fact make use of the lower rear quarters for support. Take a look at it and scratch your head for a while and hopefully you'll come up with a way to brace it, I'm still thinking about how to do it on mine.

Here, I finished it for you.

bumperprojection.jpg

well but then that would eliminate the entire reason i cut the rear fender. i was going for something a little bit more minimalistic/rugged.

dude, a bumper like the one pictured above will help eliminate the need for mudflaps where some areas require them...

is that gas pipe or something?.... on the corner where the tubes stop by the wheelwell u shoulda notched the lower tube and welded it to the upper one instead of the funky cap attaching the 2 togethar

well i thought about that but when i just held it together like that it looked pretty bad. the end cap looks rather ugly at the moment but im going to clean it up so it doesnt look so nasty.

just cut into that area while replacing all sorts of rusted out metal in the back of my 96 - the stock method is "throw some stamped 20ga on it and spotweld that shit down haphazardly! it'll hold!" and does in fact make use of the lower rear quarters for support. Take a look at it and scratch your head for a while and hopefully you'll come up with a way to brace it, I'm still thinking about how to do it on mine.

you really think its that essential to brace inside the quarters??!?!

you really think its that essential to brace inside the quarters??!?!
After looking at the inside of them and how everything is constructed back there... yes, yes I do. I never used to before I started my most recent project. There really isn't all that much holding it together in there.

EDIT: I tend to agree with you on the notching vs end cap. I think it'll look a lot better once you skin it, though you probably should have used DOM/something else instead of gas/water pipe. Don't get me wrong, gas/water pipe is great for some stuff, but bumpers/cage/suspension? Nope.

if you want rugged you gotta go flareless! and i now its too late but you shouldve folded up the rear quarters and not just cut them off, that area has alot of structure to it, even if you put more metal on to cover the whole it still would be weakened...

if you want rugged you gotta go flareless! and i now its too late but you shouldve folded up the rear quarters and not just cut them off, that area has alot of structure to it, even if you put more metal on to cover the whole it still would be weakened...

Now I see...he just hacked instead of folding....

I am a bit confused. Did you build that bumper out of pipe or tube? You mention pipe earlier in the thread, but later call it tube. There is a big difference between pipe and tube and although technically you can build a bumper out of pipe, but I wouldn't reccomend it as it is not intended for that kind of use.

why not integrate the hitch into the bumper rather that have that departure angle killing beast hanging back there? you got the rugged look alright

why not integrate the hitch into the bumper rather that have that departure angle killing beast hanging back there? you got the rugged look alright

I agree on the hitch. I would skin the whole thing with 1/4", but then weight will start to be your enemy. Especially with a spare. Reinforce the 1/4's for sure.
Some times, trying to do it cheap is not the best thing to do. I give you credit, most others would just buy new. Sometimes you just have to jump in. Next time you will learn from what you did the times before.

Arguing pipe vs tube, when building bumpers for a light rig without a cage, is an irrelevant flamewar. tube is stronger, but build it with what youve got! mine are DOM because i wanted to do them right.

as far as the rear quarter trim, his has a peice of fender trim where it SHOULD be a folded seam on a proper 'cut n fold'. so i cant imagine his being done right.

i was in a rush when i did mine, and did it the so called 'proper' way. the jeep hasnt seen 4x4 sinse then, only casual prerunning, BUT it's showing its age back in that corner, and i really cant blame the squeeks on anything else! (not trying to scapegoat, but theres no other reason for soo many cracks back there)

on his jeep, i'd hope he keeps his stock hitch, it's gonna be waaay stronger than tugging from that bumper!

skinning it in 1/4? are you guys serious? thats massive weight... do you push stuff with it daily or what?

now on the fender note, i did purchase some sheet metal that is stronger than stock that is getting welded into place. but only because its not waterproof after you cut it. though i do have to say, that area was EXTREMELY weak even before i cut it off. it was extremely flimsy sheet metal that was partially rusted out and held together by a few tack welds from the factory. i think the difference in strength may be 10% after cutting it. the only benefit i can see from welding in metal as im going to is the waterproofing abilities.

as far as the pipe issue goes, yes it is pipe. i mis spoke earlier. the only reason i opted to just build it out of gas/water pipe is because it is cheap and i was not intending on putting any stress other than the spare tire carrier on it. i was not going to put a winch on it or use it for towing anything. now, on another note, as far as departure angle goes; i fully intend on completely getting rid of that monstrosity of a trailer hitch entirely and welding in some steel supports with D rings tied in somehow. long story short, this bumper is purely cosmetic aside from carrying my spare. if you want it to do more, use all grade 8 hardware, and buy good tube to fabricate it from. also use something that makes a stronger weld than a wire fed mig welder

Back