• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ lift for pavement pounder???

I think I'm the first one to say this but I would go Superlift. I have their 3" lift kit on my 99 (was already lifted when I bought it) and I love it. It rides realistically 5x better than my RE 3.5" kit did. I had the RE 3.5" on a "pavement pounder" as well with 31"s and it gave it an awkward stance and a horrible ride. I rarely ran with a load and offroaded probably once a month, so I suppose it may have never really got broken in. For the money though, I would be tempted to go Superlift.
My .02
-Collin

Has anyone said rough country yet? I don't know from experience but from what i've heard, they're better than rustys but worse than RE. Their 3" lift can be had for $500 plus shipping. Maybe a perfect compromise:dunno:

I have RC 3" which you mentioned and wouldnt suggest it. coils are fine but AAL of any brand is no good in the long run. Mine are completely sagged so i rebuilt my pack using xj main and several others.

91Limited said:
Has anyone said rough country yet? I don't know from experience but from what i've heard, they're better than rustys but worse than RE. Their 3" lift can be had for $500 plus shipping. Maybe a perfect compromise:dunno:

AAL's tend ride stiff as crap, and sag much quicker than anything else. And personally, if i'm spending $500 on a kit, it better not sag for quite some time....no matter if I wheel it hard or not.

My daily driver only sees the street and the mud of Florida (which is swampland)

1) 15" lift
2) Coilovers front and rear
3) rockwells with 14" floating rotors and 6pot stoptech calipers w/ hydroboost
4) 44x20x20 Michelin Xs
5) hydrosteering

Has a 138" wheel base and 81" WMS-WMS (hubs out).

Rides like an 18-wheeler on the interstate. Smoother than silk.

I agree to stay away from the RE lift. Rubicon builds their lifts for wheelers, not street queens. I had the 3.5 on my '94 and it rode like a Sherman tank. But the performance was outstanding offroad. Like I said, if you want a better stance, something that looks nice, and rides even better. OME is the only lift out there.

99XJSPORT06 said:
Whats wrong with lifting something thats going to see a lot of pavement action? Not everybody gets to wheel theirs every weekend. Heck, mine gets some minor wheelin MAYBE once a month. Other than that it sees mainly highway duty. Some people just want that added capability of a lift for when they're in a quick situation and need it.

Nothing I guess. I know some of the speed bumps can be murder with only 8 inches of ground clearance.

Not trying to start an argument, OK yes I am..... But he said in the opening post of this thread, nothing about occasional off-roading. If this is a dedicated street XJ, leave it alone. Adding 31's to stock gearing helps How?

Flame ON!!:flame:

I hate to vote for Rusty's, but I have his 3" and it seems his springs are ok. Granted they maynot be comparable to RE, but I have not driven both, so can't comment myself. For the price, Rusty's lifts seem ok, its just the parts other than the lift that don't measure up. Springs ok, trac bar and such needed to compliment the lift, not so much.
Grab the Rusty's lift, but goto RE for your control arms, trac bar and such. You say its a pavement pounder, and Rusty lift rides somewhat softer than RE I've read, so why not have the comfort your looking for too. As for wanting 3" instead of 3.5" tho... my 3" sat at probably closer to 4" when I first got it, maybe down near 3" now but still a bit higher than 3".
Hope it goes well for you, good idea asking around here, and planning out your build, wish I had found this place before I did a lot of my upgrades.

Last edited:
My brother has a 3.5 OME lift on his 95' with 33's. Yes there was some trimming involved, I'll get some pics.

And my sisters is a 98' with the police package, which I"m guessing has the up-country suspension. We put 2" shackles in the rear because of the already uneven sagging leafs. Then threw on some 30's no problem. No rubbing, nothing. Rides great too.

n24400453_31400129_6344.jpg

n24400453_31400142_210.jpg

So theres a 3.5 and 33's. Bottom line I would say get some spacers and shackles and call it a day with 2"

DaffyXJ said:
Nothing I guess. I know some of the speed bumps can be murder with only 8 inches of ground clearance.

Not trying to start an argument, OK yes I am..... But he said in the opening post of this thread, nothing about occasional off-roading. If this is a dedicated street XJ, leave it alone. Adding 31's to stock gearing helps How?

Flame ON!!:flame:

Some people like it just for the looks, and not so much practicality. To each their own.

And 31's on stock gearing isn't that bad.

Ok heres how i feel about it.
Why waste money on lifting it if your not gonna use it for whats its intended for? Like theres a guy that lives near me that has a RE 3.5 SF kit with 31" MT/R's, JKS ADJ TB, JKS Quicker Discos, RE Twin tube shocks, all kinds of skid plates, Aj's rock rails. and the thing has never seen dirt. Its all for show, so why spend money on all that crap that was made to be wheeled and not wheel it??
But if you are gonna lift it. i would look at a BB or spring out the money for a nice OME kit.....Why sacrifice your ride quality if its gonna be only street driven?

Sell it to someone who will wheel it and find a 2wd version. Leave it stock and drive it like you stole it.

Cherokeekid88 said:
Ok heres how i feel about it.
Why waste money on lifting it if your not gonna use it for whats its intended for? Like theres a guy that lives near me that has a RE 3.5 SF kit with 31" MT/R's, JKS ADJ TB, JKS Quicker Discos, RE Twin tube shocks, all kinds of skid plates, Aj's rock rails. and the thing has never seen dirt. Its all for show, so why spend money on all that crap that was made to be wheeled and not wheel it??
But if you are gonna lift it. i would look at a BB or spring out the money for a nice OME kit.....Why sacrifice your ride quality if its gonna be only street driven?

You should see the TJ on 39's in my town. I'd be afraid to drive it on any kind of slope, and to get it to pass inspection, he bolted another stock bumper under his original stock bumper for the height requirement...guess I wouldn't understand.

Back