• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ lift for pavement pounder???

its just a tiny trim for 30's on the street why lift?
I run 235's (29x9.5 or so) stock no issues so 1 inch would be a barely noticable trim
and low and beefy looks more aggressive than tall and lanky

I'd advise to budget for 'good parts' besides just lift springs.

For a mostly street XJ, I'd be looking at controlling body roll as much as possible:

I'd retain the front sway-bar, and if you can find one from a 4.0l Limited, those are a little stiffer (28mm vs 25mm normal bar.) Pro-Thane greasable poly bar mounts and JKS Quicker Discos complete that part.

Kevinz makes a pretty beefy track bar & bracket (a modified JKS bar and modded stock bracket) RE XD and TNT are both supposed to be very good as well. I don't know.

Don't overlook the control arms either... stock arms with rubber bushings have useful limits somewhere around 3-4" lift, but are pretty flexible/vulnerable. I opted for RE uppers and Currie lowers (with the flex-joints, not bushings) a little noisier than rubber, but lots more rigid.

Pass on the cheap hydro shocks too... Once your lift height is set, get some measurements and buy some good gas-charged pieces. Bilstein 5125s should work well for reasonable cost.

I don't know if HD steering is worth it on a 3" ish street jeep, but a C-ROK box brace and sleves/bolts probably is... Anything to reinforce weak links isn't really wasted money.

jvancamp said:
Lift is more looks than function on my project.

$700 to spend on everything.

In that case, the RE kit you mentioned in the original post is a great baseline start. It will give you looks plus good function. Getting 'better' function isn't far off from that kit...

I am just the opposite, going more for function (both good street manners and decent off-road capability) over looks... I 'cherry picked' certain parts -some new, some used- rather than buy a new "kit", but my junk is still a work-in-progress so who knows. Plans Subject To Change Without Notice.

jvancamp said:
Lift is more looks than function on my project.

$700 to spend on everything.

suit yourself but my wifes rig looks beefy with235's on a wider offset rim

she wants a lift (road only) prob~3" and we're shootin for 32's

the trail junk runs 33's and no lift (tires were free truck was $143)

I think 30's on a 3" wont make you happy dude

?? I don't see the need for a lift at all if you're going with 30's. I just put some 2" shackles on my sisters jeep. They were like $40 shipped. Also just got the tires replaced, 30x9.5 BFG A/T's, and they don't rub at all.

i just put my RE3.5 on my 2001 a few weeks ago. it had some vibes and i didn't have the money for a sye so i just bought a TC drop and that took care of the problem...for now at least. haha. i'm runnin 32s. 8.25 rear.

i got it from redrock4x4.com

shipping was free, and i think shocks were too.

i think jeepinoutfitters.com has free shipping on some RE stuff too.

maybe that helps.

Old Man Emu...

Lifting a pavement pounder? Shouldn't this thread be on J.U.??

:doh:

DaffyXJ said:

Why? Putting a OME lift on a street rig, gives it a better stance, a better ride, and more clearance to run some better tires like a 31" Revo for those snowy days.

Now if he put something shitty like a Rustys lift, or something "uncomfortable" like a RE lift, then by all means, send him over to JU.

jvancamp said:

Stands for Old Man Emu. They make small lifts for the XJ, with phenomenal street ride characteristics. They aren't cheap, but you get what you pay for. Here is a '00 Limited with a 3.5" ish OME lift and the Rubi wheels and tires. It's one of my favorite rigs on here and he will probably chime in. Thing rides like a Cadillac.

CleanLimitedXJ1.jpg

This is getting off topic, but casm's Jeep (the one pictured above with the OME 3.5 and Rubi Wheels) is flat out awesome. If I had the cash from the beginning (or ever for that matter), I would have done the same set up as him. If i'm not mistaken, his is a DD/Occasional Wheeler. OME kits are a bit pricey, but from what i've heard, well worth the money.

evil dead said:
she wants a lift (road only) prob~3" and we're shootin for 32's

I think 30's on a 3" wont make you happy dude
32's on a 3" lift? That's going to be a tight fit...hope you dont mind trimming. And 30's on a 3" doesn't look bad....hell, my stock 235's looked okay for the month gap b/w the time I put my lift on and the time I got my tires. They didn't have that "skateboard wheel" look. But personally, 31's look great on a 3-3.5" set up.

DaffyXJ said:

Whats wrong with lifting something thats going to see a lot of pavement action? Not everybody gets to wheel theirs every weekend. Heck, mine gets some minor wheelin MAYBE once a month. Other than that it sees mainly highway duty. Some people just want that added capability of a lift for when they're in a quick situation and need it.

and some people just want their ride to be a little taller than stock with a little bigger tire. I think if the guy wants to run 30's, he should spend the hundred bucks on a set of spacers and shackles, drill a new hole for his trac bar, and get his 30's. If he thinks he might get deeper into wheeling, he can use the parts on his next lift, but for now, he just wants to run 30's. I would say even leave the rear swaybar on for now. Why get rid of it?

If you just want 30" tires on a street pounder, stick with the least amount of lift you need. I have about a 2.5" lift and my 30's look like they could get bigger. An Old Man Emu 2" (medium) lift gets you some of the best springs out there, will fit 30's underneath and won't change your front-end geometry so much. If you get any vibs, a t-case drop should suffice. It also comes with their shocks, which I've heard are some of the best for the road. It'll cost a bit more, but you'll save money by not needing a bunch of new parts. Once you go over 3" on a newer XJ, you're talking SYE, adjustable track bar, new control arms, longer sway bar links, and your steering will get more stress and likely need some upgrades (yes, even just doing highway miles).

If OME is too much $$, try a shackle/spacer 2" kit.
Or try a homebrew lift such as the one described on the Rock Lizard site (http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm)

Don't worry about all the talk about Rustys vs. RE. RE is better, and Rusty's shipping is outrageous. OME makes a superior riding suspension. Wheelin' guys are all about RE - and for good reason, but unless you're planning on hitting the trails, stay low.

Good luck

jvancamp said:
My max tire size I would like to go with are 30" or less so it will be easier to recal the speedo if needed.
If you do the RE 3.5 go with 31s they will look better and recal'ing the speedo is the same process no matter what tire size you go with. It's a really simple gear swap on the transfer case. Should take no more than 10 minutes.

If you only want 30s, why not do the 2" RE Budger boost?

Here's a pic of my '99 with the RE6025 and 31s:
IMG_3605_600.jpg

Back