• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ FRONT LEAF SPRING CONVERSION????

ripper350XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I got a lot of great info on my 350 swap now I wanted to check if anyone has everdone or knows anything about converting my front suspension to leafs. I did a IFS to leaf conversion on my 89 GMC K1500 and it was pretty simple. If anyone has any specific info or pointers on the XJ conversion it would be appreciated, thnaks.

come on... you didn't even bother to search!!!! There is a huge thread on here about it. I will even give you a few tips - Its in the advanced fab sub-forum and the title starts with the words "Front Leaf Spring". For the love of god, use the search function.

I have done it. It works very well. I want to go back to coils.

I won't discourage you from doing it, but I do recommend you stick with coils and links.

-jm

Not to get off topic here but WTF is this mod for? I can see a lot of time and money going into that for little to no benefit.

Jester99 said:
Not to get off topic here but WTF is this mod for? I can see a lot of time and money going into that for little to no benefit.

The benefit is to be able to wheel.
DSCF1077.JPG

It's easier (if you have fab skills) and cheaper (at least initially) to set up a cherokee on front leafs if you are running 35's for example.

Naturally, it has a few drawbacks.

winkosmosis said:
If you have fab skills, you could build a long arm system.

I hate to re-hash this same old story... but here goes...

Building long arms and a properly configured front suspension is significantly more complicated. When I did my front leafs, I wasn't comfortable building a link suspension. Even if I was, I would have built a radius arm style setup - because that was the "standard" at the time. And I am glad I didn't go that route.

Now, a few years later and a few years fab experience under my belt; i am confident that I could put together a decent 3-link on the front. Someday I would really like too.

For now, I need to replace my front springs (a frustrating drawback) because I bent a main leaf and they have sagged out quite a bit. But to be perfectly honest I am happy to throw some new leafs in there just to have it back on the road. Leaf springs up front simply work - and they can work very well. Nobody has claimed them to be the best solution for everybody. At the time I built my truck, they were the best solution for me. Where I wheel (Northern California - Rubicon / Fordyce / Etc) I haven't been limited on the trail by my front leafs. But again, if I rebuilt my front suspension TODAY, it wouldn't be with leafs.

I like to keep in mind that its not what you have, but rather what you do.

Just my thoughts...

-jm

I agree wholeheartedly HTek.

It's not what you wheel but how you wheel it.

If leaves are working for you, more power to ya! Leaves are a simpler design, proven to work, and less know-how involved.

All kinds of geometry come into play when making any type of coil front suspension and some people (including myself; 0 fab skills) wouldn't feel comfortable tackling that kind of a project.

Love the pic :thumbup:

winkosmosis said:
Leaf springs are like twice the price of coils.

Your statement is not entirely true...

RE 5.5 XJ Coils (pair) - $174.95

RE 2.5 YJ leafs (pair) - $199.90 << This is What I run

And you haven't even considered Joints, bushings, weld-in bungs, and DOM.

I ran a 6" short arm from tomken on my last MJ. Worked great. Then long arm kits started showing up and I realized my short arms didn't quite measure up (haha). Long arms ride so much better, great travel too.

Fast forward a few years and I have another MJ sitting in my driveway. Did I mention that I had broken several track bars and ripped a few axle mounts for the LCA's on my last jeep? Not to mention the wonderful cracks in the frame around the steering box. This time I set up with leaf springs.

I had a "good deal" on a set of yj 3.5" mil wrapped BDS springs, so I used them. I could not be happier with my MJ's performance. I DO NOT have the travel or "flex" a long arm kit has, but I side hill like a champ! Doing an axle swap at the same time also led me to use the leaf springs. Building a truss or buying the bracket kit vs. shackle hangers and going wheeling... I chose to get on the trail as fast as possible.

Proper set up is crutial with any suspension system. I can live with my leaf springs, they are not perfect... but they are predictable!

WOW is all I have to say....First off I always do a search and then ask people for some more info on top of that. Everyone has their opinion on leafs vs coils....I'm going to be putting 9 inches of lift on my jeep and anything over a 6.5 inch on coils is crazy.... A full 8-9 inch leaf spring lift will be around $7-800.00, a 8-9in long arm kit can be anywhere from $2200-3500!!!!!!!! You can't just compare the price of a single coil to a leaf pack, what about the upper/lower control arms, track bar, steering, and control arm ends?????? With leaf suspension all you need it the leafs, bushings, and sometimes shackles. I'm not knocking coil suspension one bit I think its a great design but it gets very expensive and complicated when you get into 8in plus lifts. I like how easy leaf springs are and thats the direction I've decided to go, any HELPFULL info on the subject would be thanked.

But if you already have coils why go to leaves? If you want to go to some insane amount of lift like 8-9" like so and so was saying, its the welding of new leaves really that much easier than a long arm set up?

Honestly though i wish our XJs were leaves out front it would be so much easier to lift... oh well at least we have a SOA setup out back! take that you YJ bitchesss!!! hhaa

Last edited:
ripper350XJ said:
WOW is all I have to say....First off I always do a search and then ask people for some more info on top of that. Everyone has their opinion on leafs vs coils....I'm going to be putting 9 inches of lift on my jeep and anything over a 6.5 inch on coils is crazy.... A full 8-9 inch leaf spring lift will be around $7-800.00, a 8-9in long arm kit can be anywhere from $2200-3500!!!!!!!! You can't just compare the price of a single coil to a leaf pack, what about the upper/lower control arms, track bar, steering, and control arm ends?????? With leaf suspension all you need it the leafs, bushings, and sometimes shackles. I'm not knocking coil suspension one bit I think its a great design but it gets very expensive and complicated when you get into 8in plus lifts. I like how easy leaf springs are and thats the direction I've decided to go, any HELPFULL info on the subject would be thanked.

I couple of the local guys here in the South East have just done this. If you search rredalty or shortdoug. You should find alot of info. Matt (rreadalty) has an MJ on 39's with leaves (I think he is about to link and coilover the rear) and Doug (shortdoug) has an XJ on 36's with leaves all the way around. I think they are both running Waggy 44's front and rear.

If you search Doug's screen name you should find a recent thread IIRC "cagework" that has pics of both rigs. Or you could search Matt's screen name for a recent thread titled "fender trimming". Both threads are located in the SEC forum.
Good Luck!

emr1101 said:
But if you already have coils why go to leaves? If you want to go to some insane amount of lift like 8-9" like so and so was saying, its the welding of new leaves really that much easier than a long arm set up?

Honestly though i wish our XJs were leaves out front it would be so much easier to lift... oh well at least we have a SOA setup out back! take that you YJ bitchesss!!! hhaa

Go to this link on Pirate 4x4 and you'll see how easy it really is. http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Leafspring_conversion/leafs.htm

I've already done a leaf conversion from IFS on a 1989 GMC which was way more complicated and it was easy.

Sorry to rehash an old thread, but I just wanted to explain why I'm going to swap to front leafs on my '98. I live in an area with terrible roads, and suspensions get beat up very quickly. I have been through several track bars before lifting my Jeep (about a 2 year period), then a couple more stock bars after lifting it 3". I tried a couple track bars made for lifted XJs, and they didn't last any longer. I also wore out my adjustable control arms in 6 months- both the threads and bushings are worn. I looked into a long arm setup, but I would still be using a track bar- no way. I want something strong, simple, and easy to repair if the need arises. I've run leafs before- Samurais, early Toyota, and a YJ. I know a leaf suspension can flex very well if set up properly, so I'm going to try it. If I don't have to rebuild my front suspension twice a year, I'll be very happy! A bonus is that when I swap to a front 44, it will be much easier than setting up control arm and track bar brackets.

Jim

Yep, nothing wrong with leaf packs up front. If you have access to fab tools and materials and the skills to use them, it's a cheaper way to get more lift, and you won't give up too much flex with the right leaf packs. I like leaf springs, very simple and predictable with minimal auxiliary parts to fail.

Back