• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Front Brakes, BIG Brake Options

its hard to tell the difference... they both use essentially the same size rotor, the pads may have more surface area, and the calipers may be better.

I haven't gotten my hands on a Vanco 15" kit to verify but I am fairly sure they use 98-02 Crown Victoria parts. After the holidays I'm going to pursue this further, as I've got spare time & an old style knuckle on hand.
I believe Vanco used to use the old style knuckle but has now started using new ones.

i guess that leaves this thread being somewhat correct about stock brakes and vanco brakes.

Post any corrections or additions you may have.

Stock calipers-single 66mm piston

AEV also makes/made a big brake kit
16" wheels- 12" rotors, dual 48mm piston calipers, custom AEV cast knuckles
17" wheels- 13.2" rotors, dual 54mm piston calipers, larger master cylinder, AEV cast knuckles
154-1105-01-o%2B154-1105-aev-front-brake-bolt-on-kit%2Bbrake-kit-components.jpg

Here's one. 1000 australian dollars, whatever that equates to. The bracket is the most interesting part. Could be patterned & cut with a plasma. Pretty simple design. You could gusset the caliper mounting lugs if you wanted.

correction-(it was late that night)

WJ '99-04- 12" rotors dual piston calipers, mounting lugs for calipers, different lower ball joint than XJ, passenger side knuckle with high mount steering arm

ZJ '93-98- same as XJ of same years, 11" rotors, single piston calipers, knuckle with brake pad mounts/ears

Boostwerks-contact him
http://naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=245287131&postcount=4

Australian Co currently has set on Ebay now, I was quoted $402 shipping DHL.

Last edited:
Also, the mustang 'cobra' brake upgrade bolts up with WJ knuckles, and not early (or late, or crown) XJ knuckles.

The Mustang calipers and 13.2" rotors will require an adapter to mount and space out the caliper to the knuckle.

2014 Mustang GT calipers, pads and 13.2" rotors $150 shipped, these are 5 mile take-offs.

The Mustang calipers and 13.2" rotors will require an adapter to mount and space out the caliper to the knuckle.

2014 Mustang GT calipers, pads and 13.2" rotors $150 shipped, these are 5 mile take-offs.

OK, so file this away under the 'custom fab' section, unless you have a link somewhere to buy those brackets pre-fab. :)

PROJECT- Early style XJ knuckles '84-'89, late style hub bearing '99.5-'01 and 2014 Mustang GT dual piston calipers, pads and 13.2" rotors.
Early style hub bearings, pre-'99.5, will only require a different, taller spacer.

Made an adapter bracket in HPDE 1/2", this stuff is easy to use. Actually made 2 adapters but the first one had the caliper spaced out about 1/4" to far and couldn't remake it in that design due to interference. Made a second one with a different layout and it seems to work. Got the spacers in place (washers for now for adjustability and measurements) and now just need to enlarge the center hole of the disc so I can mount it to the hub and check all the spacing and alignments. Hopefully it doesn't need any tweaking. Found a couple of local places who would cut them out of 1/2" steel with waterjet. Local Laser place can only do up to 3/8".
Pics to follow.

I wouldn't trust HDPE in that high of a heat environment. Thats a recipe to get someone killed.

HDPE needs to be at a working temp under 240*, and shouldn't be used over about 210* sustained.

My brake calipers get up to about 400 degrees. I'm sure yours arent much cooler.

Yeah, I didnt' read far enough into it with my eyes bulging out of my head at the thought.

Back