• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can't get good brakes on my 1ton xj

1-tonxj

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I don't remember my brakes being so bad years ago on 40s when I still drove it on the road and I recall being able to stop on steep obstacles . Since the good ol days of being able to stop I've added a 5:1 atlas and 42s during that time I ran my factory master dry with a couple brake line ruptures so I replaced the master with Durango master cylinder that has 1-1/8 bore vs factory 1 inch bore I bled it and it still sucked on flat ground it will drive through the brakes at 1000rpm on a slight hill it will not stop just idles through them . Bought a set of dual piston wilwood to replace the large single piston GM calipers removed the o ring from the prop valve and bled still shitty brakes .I put on a ram 2500 van master cylinder with 1-1/4 bore bought a power bleeder and installed the new master cylinder and power bled the brakes and still they sucked I put on a brand new stock xj 1 inch bore master and bled again and still shitty brakes . The issue here is I have no control on situations I need brake control on obstacles where I can't just use gearing to hold me. So anyone with a heavy xj on 40s or bigger able to stop on steep stuff...lol...cause I can't at the moment.

How does the pedal feel? If it's long throw and squishy, then you need a bigger bore MC. If it's really firm and short throw then you need a smaller bore MC.

How does the pedal feel? If it's long throw and squishy, then you need a bigger bore MC. If it's really firm and short throw then you need a smaller bore MC.

That's the thing the pedal is long throw but not really squishy and that's how it feels with a brand new xj 1 inch bore mc , a brand new 1.125 bore Durango mc and a brand new 1.250 bore ram 2500 van mc . I power bled all of them besides the xj mc because the threads won't let the bleeder cap get tight but I bled the mc with a mc bleeder then did the lines . There just isn't enough caliper force to lock up the wheels . I bought a new booster anyways because I'm not 100 on how that applies to line pressure I was under the impression that it only makes pushing the pedal easier and a bad booster is Saud to have a hard pedal ...I don't ... I measured the Durango and ram van mc against the xj and I should be getting full use of it since they look to be identical for required rod length ... Next step is to get caliper pressure gauge to see what I have for pressure at each corner . I'll be wheeling the 4th again with shatty brakes maybe labor day I'll have that safety feature ?

Back