• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Exhaust Manifold mugshots (Is this a knock-off of a Banks Header?)

Well, I ordered one and it's supposed to be here Monday. It's going to get slammed on my 1990 next week which we've all been debating whether it will work or not so I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Well, I got mine on Monday as planned, IT WILL NOT WORK on a Renix XJ. There is not enough clearance room between the air passages on the intake to clear the exhaust. It came very close but it would need to be moved down about 1" more for the intake to seat correctly. If I'm able to find someway around this I'll let you guys know but as of right now I'm 99.9% sure its a no go for Renixs.

Zice said:
umm... whats a renix?

I have never ever heard of such a thing...
You're kidding right?

Zice said:
I wish I were... I have no idea what a renix XJ is... would you put it in retard terms for me?

Renix is the computer that runs the engine and fuel injection, it was made by Renault for AMC(Chrysler bought Jeep form AMC)

Is this a manifold crack?
click to make bigger

When I crank the engine over to start it, I hear a ticking sound but once it starts, the ticking goes away. Well there is still another slight ticking sound but I think its the valvetrain :/

How much would ceramic coating cost if I took it some place to have it done?

CreativeSN said:
Is this a manifold crack?
click to make bigger

When I crank the engine over to start it, I hear a ticking sound but once it starts, the ticking goes away. Well there is still another slight ticking sound but I think its the valvetrain :/

How much would ceramic coating cost if I took it some place to have it done?
Yeah that is a crack, thats where they all start at. I can't help you on the ceramic coating part though, I just slapped mine on.

This has a 2" collector flange that connects to stock header pipe. http://www.automotivepartsnetwork.com/store/pc/AutoPart.asp?idProduct=20009 is where I got mine for $119.89 plus $15.81 shipping. It comes complete with gasket. I installed a 99+ intake at same time. I get 13mpg wheeling and up to 22.9mpg on extended road trips.. The 22.9mpg was cruising 55-65mph on a 1300 mile trip on highway tires. With MTs and combined city/highway/offroad I'm getting 16.9mpg

Good Luck!

Well I decided to call the sources

Borla tech said their header is ONLY for a 1993-1995 XJ and has a 2.25 flange
Banks tech said they have a 2.5 flange

for me...give the $120 price for the cheap header and the $500+ for the others.

Buy the cheap one, cut off the flange and weld on a 2.5 flange for a 2.5 exhaust system. From the pictures, it appears the cheap header tappers down at the flange but I may be mistaken.

I checked on http://store.racing-solutions.org/ and they sell the 2.5 flange for $25. So roughly about say $160 after shipping and you have a 2.5 flange header like the expensive guys.

Checked a couple of guys for price guesstimates of ceramic coating and its about $100-125. Or you could go the Jet Hot coat route...not sure on pricing yet for it.

Just wanted to check in on these APN headers. How has your APN Header held up? It looks like it has been awhile since people installed thiers, so any updates?

Sadly, mine has now fallen victim to the crack, so I will likely be ordering my own this Friday.

Back