• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Exhaust Manifold mugshots (Is this a knock-off of a Banks Header?)

I have had one of these manifolds for over 20,000 miles and put it through hell and back without any problems. Let me explain........

If you want to waste your time and money and get something pretty go ahead and get one of those brand name garbage manifolds. If you want something that is going to last you need to stop hesitating and get one of these. The factory manifolds and the brand name ones are all made with the same steel and roughly the same design principles. The APNs are made out of 321 stainless. The same steel that is used on aircraft exhaust manifolds, furnace parts, heat exchangers etc.

This grade is stabilized with titanium thereby making it highly resistant to intergranular corrosion (weld decay). Want to know why the Brand Name Manifolds will not use this stuff? Cause you cant polish 321 stainless and it is all about looks and advertising with them. Your exhaust gases will not and I repeat will not phase this kind of steel. Think about it for a moment........they use this stuff on Jets and Furnaces...etc.

The rate of expansion and contraction on the 4.0s combined with 409 stainless (on the factory and even brand name manifolds) and the exhaust gases breaks down the molecular composition of the steel thereby causing this intergranular corrosion(again...weld decay). Want to know why all your manifolds are cracking at the welds? Well then......there is your answer.

Save your money and buy one of these and if you want, pick up some exhaust wrap from Summit or something and that will forever be the end of your manifold problems. I personally would run these without any coating of any type as this grade of steel is resistant to rapid temperature changes. If you really need a coating on them just hit the mud a little harder :)

There you go.......blow that out your pipe

Ohhh Yea.....One more thing....409 stainless is really a garbage grade of steel. Spend enough years working with 321,409,301, etc in corrosive enviroments putting this and many other kinds of steel through hell and you shall arive in the same boat (maybe different name...lol)

Wow, thanks for the materials explaination. I would have had to break out my materials engineering book for that much depth! I am going to order one Friday. Hooray payday.

I just bought my favorite little chinese exhaust manifold. APN rules, damn it.

No way I'm bleeding out $400 to $500 for a name brand exhaust header. Now my guilt grows for buying a chinese part. I wish we had "Made in the USA" parts that were reasonably priced, but we don't. It's a shame.
My guilt is wasted though, earlier this year I had the instrument bezel off, and embossed in the clear plastic was: "Made in Japan". My jeep was never 100% American parts.

Does anyone know if there is a company that makes an Exhaust Manifold that is 2.5"? I'm trying to get my entire exhaust to 2.5" but I'm having trouble finding the answers I want from websites that carry parts.

WaXJ_Skier said:
Does anyone know if there is a company that makes an Exhaust Manifold that is 2.5"? I'm trying to get my entire exhaust to 2.5" but I'm having trouble finding the answers I want from websites that carry parts.
Do you want all the runners to be 2.5" or just the single output? If you just want the end to be 2.5" you could cut off the piece they have on the end and weld on a 2.5" piece of stainless.

CreativeSN said:
Is this a manifold crack?
click to make bigger

When I crank the engine over to start it, I hear a ticking sound but once it starts, the ticking goes away. Well there is still another slight ticking sound but I think its the valvetrain :/

How much would ceramic coating cost if I took it some place to have it done?

Hahahaa.... I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you. This is the same place mine is cracked and my manifold is about as rusty. 99 XJ w/ 339,XXXkm.

I'm getting the APN. My price here is on a cost plus basis and is more than twice what the APN exhaust manifold will cost for the Banks or the Borla. Might as well give it a shot after the positive reviews seen here.

just read through 9 pages of posts and maybe i missed it but has anyone put one on a 2000? I see on the website it says it will not fit but I dont really understand why that would be.

i didn't realize the ports were smaller. that sucks. so the 99+ has better intake but weaker exhaust manifolds? so what options for a 2000?

Last edited:
Well, I ordered one. I noticed the jeep running a little louder then normal tonight, checked the manifold crack and its about 1/2 around the upper pipe now.

Hope I can locate a 99+ intake in time, else I'm going to be doing that later.

I'll try to take a ton of pics as I'm doing this.

I was thinking of letting the intake manifold soak in a tub of cleaner while I do this, any reccomendations on this?

Last edited:
XJ Exhaust Manifold

The autopn.com site is no longer up. new name maybe?
Anyway, I'd like to find a nice header without crushing bank account for my 1990 XJ 4.0L (Renix). The first factory manifold was replaced under warranty many moons ago and the replacement certainly sounds as if it cracked. Have found these two possible replacements as i tried to follow autopn via google.
http://www.1aauto.com/1A/ExhaustManifolds/Jeep/Cherokee/1AEEK00039/780501
exhmanifold1aauto.jpg

exhmanifoldineedparts.jpg

neither one looks like the Banks copy discussed earlier; actually both look junky...Please help with a recommendation of a 321 ss reasonably priced replacement header for my 1990 XJ :)

Thanks

Weld it.

If you buy a new one throw a nice bead where the cracks are showing up at. I also think you need new motor mounts. Don't waste your money on junk.

Weld x Time = new crack...Would like to make this removal and refit of a header or exhaust manifold a non-recurring task. a better after market manifold or a suitable header is what I am after...recommendations please?

Haven't seen much on web other than the above and Pacesetter Headers...the three look like shite to me. Or Dynomax #289-87743 at Jegs for about $500.00

Motor mounts are both fine; thanks for the tip though.

You have a Renix. The OEM in your link and the pacesetters are pretty much your only off the shelf options.

I replaced mine with one similar to the top pic. It fit fine and took care of my 88.

Back