• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000-01 Exhaust Header on a 99'

Mute9937

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up a '99 XJ a few months back but did not notice how bad the exhaust is. It basically needs the entire exhaust system replaced. I figured just replace 100% and start new. My struggle has been finding a good header that will fit around the '99 intake manifold since Banks does not offer one for that year. My questions are...

Is a 99' intake manifold design the same as 2000-01? If so, the newer header design should bolt on, correct?

Does anyone know the pipe diameter of the 2000-01 head/y-pipe? I have heard its double 2" into single 2.5" outlet, is this correct?

I would not be getting any pre-cats and plan to be running 2.5" pipe all the way out since engine mods are in the future. It is also getting lifted which should fix the front driveshaft/exhaust pipe clearance issues.

You will need the corresponding downpipe with either set-up. I run a Banks Revolver on my 2000.

The 00+ header may not cover the 0630 ports adequately to not burn through manifold gaskets early and often.

The 00+ header may not cover the 0630 ports adequately to not burn through manifold gaskets early and often.

Not really likely since all the exhaust/intake gaskets are the same for all years.

Not really likely since all the exhaust/intake gaskets are the same for all years.

I looked at Rock Auto. Fel Pro MS94790 91-98, Fel Pro MS93094 99-01. I think on the 99 year, there were some with the old intake and 0603 head, some with the new intake and the 0603 head and others possibly with the New head 0331 and the new intake. ??? I just bought a head off a '99. It had the 0603 head.
Now, for the 2000 there are two types of exhaust. The Federal and the Cali. On the 01 its the same, and the same as the '00 Cali, ie two precats. They also use the cast iron manifolds. The Cali has a piece with the precats between the exhaust manifold/header and the down pipe. The '00 Fed, the down pipe extends up to the exhaust manifold/header.
As I know it, the 00-01 aftermarket headers have a bit smaller diameter pipe. It would work for the 0603 head, but would be a 'port match'. You want about 1/8 larger diameter pipe. I can check this tonight, as I have a 0603 head off a '99 and a BKK exhaust header for a 2000+.
I'm in the stages of two builds, and a deconstruction of a '98. Don't mention the '88 MJ, with an '03 WJ 4.0L. I do plan to put a 0603 on the '00 and a '95 head from Russ, on the '01. I will use one of the Doug Thorley 91-99 headers on them. Then adapt the down pipe to it. Then again, I might look into a 'custom' down pipe.

Edit:https://www.bankspower.com/i-2581-e...99-jeep-wrangler-4-0l-1991-1998-cherokee.html

https://www.bankspower.com/i-788-ex...01-cherokee-and-1999-2001-grand-cherokee.html

Last edited:
On a side note, Russ has shown the Banks Revolver to perform the best!

Thank you for the help. I did verify the head as a 0630. After looking into the Banks Revolver, I found that according to Banks, its not designed for the '99 XJ. I assuming due to intake manifold design change that year.

Thank you for the help. I did verify the head as a 0630. After looking into the Banks Revolver, I found that according to Banks, its not designed for the '99 XJ. I assuming due to intake manifold design change that year.

I posted two Banks headers in my previous post. One is for 91-99.
https://www.bankspower.com/i-2581-e...99-jeep-wrangler-4-0l-1991-1998-cherokee.html
The other is for 00-06. It has nothing to do with the Intake manifold. There is a 'Long' header and a 'Short' header. I didn't know if you were trying to use a 2000 down pipe and 'Short' header, as to have a bolt on solution.
I do have a Doug Thorley on my '98 XJ with a 99+ (Horseshoe) intake manifold. So, a Banks or aFe header should work too. You will have to adapt the header flange to the present down or crossover pipe. Or have a custom one made up.

To clarify, I have a 2000 with a 2000 intake but I am running a 0331 head that Russ modified to "0630" ports so I run the Banks Revolver.

To clarify, I have a 2000 with a 2000 intake but I am running a 0331 head that Russ modified to "0630" ports so I run the Banks Revolver.

What version are you running? They make a short header and a long header. I wonder what the ID of the 2000-2006 Banks Revolver primary pipes are. When I looked are 'shorty' headers for my 2000, the primaries were ID 1.5", except Holley. Long headers are usually ID 1.625.
I am using the terms, "Long Header' and 'Short Header'

Sorry, I guess im confused because Banks is telling me the 91-99 header fits the Wrangler for those years but only fits 91-98 Cherokees.

What version are you running? They make a short header and a long header. I wonder what the ID of the 2000-2006 Banks Revolver primary pipes are. When I looked are 'shorty' headers for my 2000, the primaries were ID 1.5", except Holley. Long headers are usually ID 1.625.
I am using the terms, "Long Header' and 'Short Header'

Sorry, I guess im confused because Banks is telling me the 91-99 header fits the Wrangler for those years but only fits 91-98 Cherokees.

Mine, I have 2 of them both are 2000XJ's with Federal emissions.

Mine, I have 2 of them both are 2000XJ's with Federal emissions.

https://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1162392

This post shows what I'd consider a long header. On the Summit site, they list some as short headers that look the same. ??? I also see that the Doug Thorley is listed as a 1.5 primary. I'll see if I can measure some stuff tonight. UPS is stopping by. I hope its the Ironman 4X4 Front 4 link kit I ordered. Usually, Ironman send me an email.

Long / short who cares, I spoke with Russ this morning to discuss what I'm up to on mine and Revolver's still are on top!

Nope. Hell, technically 7120 and 0630 aren't even the same port pattern, though I've swapped across that line with no ill effects (besides maybe reduced power or fuel economy due to injector shrouding). But 0630 vs 0331 it's a big difference, the gasket will burn through at the bottom under the exhaust ports due to inadequate overlapping area between the head and header flange to keep the gasket clamped.

I measured the ports on a 0603, roughly 1-3/8. I measured the BKK 2000-2006 header as about 1.450 ID. I did have a 'stock' gasket with the BKK header. It was 1-1/4 and 1.4 rectangular or so. The Flepro I have is round, not sure of for what year.

Are you sure you know what you have? BBK only shows one for a 91-99.

Back